Friday, November 30, 2007

More Updates on France

It's 6 am and I'm back in California, eating chocolate in front of the computer. It's pretty much the most disgusting scenario I can think of, but my body thinks it's afternoon and chocolate time. Sevak and I got back 2 nights ago, and judging from the amount of time it took me to get used to France's time zone, I'm in for a few nights of restless sleep and chocolate mornings. I don't even know where to begin about Europe. There's so much to say, so I decided I'd post some of my journal entries. They might not be extremely interesting, but they do give detail on what we did. Here goes!

le 14 novembre

We got in at about 9:45, took a taxi to our hotel for 48 euros (plus tip, which totaled about 60 euros), and slept for a short while. Later we went to a little Turkish place and got some Greek sandwiches. We spoke to the men that worked there; they were both Turkish and were interested to hear that my grandpa spoke Turkish. I was scared to tell them that he [grandpa] and Sevak were actually Armenian, but they were very nice. Later we went to the grocery store (E. Leclerc) and got some items for breakfast. I didn’t know that you had to weigh the fruits yourself, so I was a little embarrassed to have to go back and do that, but oh well.

le 15 novembre

To get to the metro station, we walked from our hotel in Colombes all the way to La Défense (approx. 30 min.), an area slightly northwest of Paris with a bunch of big business buildings and whatnot. We didn’t take the bus because public transportation was having a grève (strike), and we didn’t know how frequently the busses were making their rounds (the metro line we had chosen, however, happened to be one of the few working). Anyway, at the metro station, we got a bit lost, but luckily I was able to solicit the help of two nice ladies. Once on the train, Sevak and I were trying to figure out where to get off. A nice man named Emmanuel helped us in English. We got off at the Arc de Triomphe and walked to the Eiffel tower. We went all the way to the top (11,50 euros per person) and it was very cold.

After the Eiffel tower, we ate at a little brasserie named Champs de Mars. Sevak had boeuf bourguignon and I had poulet frites. I ate it with a fork because I was nervous that it would be impolite to eat with my hands. The bill was 24 euros.

Next we walked to the Louvre and just looked around the perimeter. We decided to go in another day because it was already a little late and we were tired.

Finally, we got back on the metro, came to La Défense, and walked all the way back to our hotel. We did a ton of walking that day and I was worried about Rose because I breathed in a ton of vile gasoline fumes, not to mention all the cigarette smoke from those smokestacks of Parisians. She’s kicking around quite a bit now, though, so thank heavens for that.

In the evening we went to the store (E. Leclerc) and got some things for breakfast. We had to buy a plastic bag for 0,15 euros. I was embarrassed because I didn’t know that you had to pay for bags. We also got some take-out Chinese from a place right near the market (the market is an interesting mall-like place that has other stores in its same building).


Sevak looks mighty fine on this point overlooking the Seine



Here I am at the Louvre

le 16 novembre

We took a taxi to the Rive Gauche Marriott so we could be closer to the center of Paris (and the metro--it would be horrendous to have to walk to La Défense everyday). Our driver was from Mauritania, but he lived in the U.S. for a couple of years, so he spoke to us in English. In fact, he did nothing but speak. However, he was pretty interesting. He gave us a little view into the French social system, teaching us a little about social security, retirement, real estate, etc. He also told us about the multitude of problems in Africa, their causes, and some solutions. Despite the interesting nature of our taxi ride, it was very pricey—70 euros (plus a 10 euro tip--we should have given more, but we thought the price was ridiculous). It cost us only 48 euros to get from the airport to the hotel, a longer distance. I think it was more expensive this time because the hotel had reserved the taxi for us. Next time we go to Europe I’d like to backpack so we could take the metro instead of taxis (I guess we could take the metro now, but it is so crowded due to the strike. We can barely fit ourselves in there.).

Today we also went to the Notre Dame Cathedral. It was very pretty, and free! We also went to a French department store, BHV. It was really interesting. French products are high quality. I was envious of their children’s clothes. The bathrooms were a disappointment, though. Finally, we went to Domino’s pizza because they were having a special promotion (3 smalls for 13,90 euros). For some reason I feel more comfortable ordering in American-style restaurants because they’re more familiar to me. We’ve had a lot of good cultural experiences, though, so I don’t think we’re selling ourselves short by eating at American places.


In front of Notre Dame


Inside view of the stained glass window


"Elles sont faites pour vous"--Domino's pizza in France

le 17 novembre

Today we walked to the Sorbonne, one of the oldest universities in Europe. It’s found in the Latin Quarter, which is named as such because it used to be the educational center of Paris, where everyone spoke Latin. It was really cool to see all those old buildings and streets. We also saw the Pantheon, a tributary building to some of France’s great minds (Rousseau, Hugo, Marie Curie, etc.). I also happened to throw up behind the building because I was awfully nauseous. Sevak was sweet to stand by my side all the while. I don’t think many, if any people saw, but I really wanted to get out of there fast. I will certainly never forget that building.

After that, we went to a little open air market. That was really cool--probably one of my most favorite things to see. We bought a kebab sandwich from some Lebanese guys. There were a lot of things for sale there--seafood, dairy, meat & charcuterie, flowers, produce, textiles, etc. I loved it.

Next we went to the Louvre and had some leftover pizza in the courtyard. We gave some to the pigeons and were consequently followed around by tons of them. We went inside the Louvre for 9 euros each. We saw the Mona Lisa, which was really small and surrounded by tons of people taking pictures (despite the no photography sign). We also saw this movie (probably from the 80’s) about the Louvre--it was nothing but candid film of the daily goings-on: museum acquisitions, restorations, etc., but it was sort of artsy in its own French way. Unfortunately the museum closed at 5 pm because of the strike. That kind of stunk because we only got a little time in there.

We got on the metro and went back to our hotel. It was extremely crowded as usual, but people had no inhibitions whatsoever being close and were happy to help as many people on as possible. I don’t think it was this day, but the day before or something, I even saw some African fellow asleep, standing up squeezed in there amongst all those people.

In the evening we had Greek sandwiches from a nice Tunisian guy near our hotel. He was friendly, and said my French was good, so of course we'll go back to him again ;)


The building which I unfortunately defaced with my vomit. I hope Hugo and Rousseau will forgive me...


Sevak enjoying the wares at the marché en plein air (open-air market)

le 18 novembre

Today we went to church and it was really cool. It was in a little building right near the Pompidou center. There were quite a few Americans there—some were visitors, some were BYU students on a political science study abroad. I guess they even have an English sacrament meeting, but we went to the French one. I thought the speakers were really good and I definitely felt the spirit. We also heard their choir sing and they were pretty darn good.

Later we went on the metro and ran into some of the BYU study abroad students, coincidentally. They told us that Internet was free at the Pompidou center, which was wonderful to hear (it’s 8 euros per hour at our hotel). We got off, ate at a McDonald’s (a lot classier than the ones in America), and went to the Pompidou for the internet.

More journal entries to follow...

No comments: