Thursday, June 12, 2008

I M A-C (I am acronym-challenged)

I just got a call from a robot. I'll refer to "it" as "she" (I mean, she had a female voice and really good manners, so might as well!). Anyway, she addressed me by my first, middle, and (badly-mispronounced) last name and informed me that I have books available at the local library. She used no abbreviations, no acronyms, and no contractions. Furthermore, she really enunciated each and every word. She wasn't much of a conversationalist, but her grammar was impeccable. Let's compare her speech with that of a typical American teenager: "my bff sez she has pics 4 u on her cell...lol!" I know I'm not one to talk, because even though I've never mastered the art of "txting," I'm a notorious word-shortener (e.g. sometimes while preparing "din," I'll also make my "spesh" dessert of chocolate chip cookies with just the right amount of "shug"). So, yeah, I just thought it was funny that an inanimate object can be more correct than a human.

Speaking of word-shortening and so forth, today I read the following on a bottle of soy sauce: "For more recipes please send a SASE to..." An SASE? After a little bit of thought, I came to the conclusion that this means "self-addressed sealed* envelope," but when did this acronym enter into our lexicon? Excuse my ignorance. At least I know what "lol" and "jk" mean...hopefully I can use them frequently enough to impress my peeps. Peace out, yo!

*I'm posting this later...I totally meant to say "stamped." Oops!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Self Addressed Stamped Envelope

My girls are loving seeing the photos of your baby!

Chrissie said...

Oops...that's what I meant!

TnD said...

I am so excited that you found my blog. I am an ultimate blog stalker and think it is so much fun to see a little of what is in people's heads around me. Let's get together soon, maybe breakfast with the babies?