Preface: I found this little entry stored away in my documents, but for some reason I never posted it. I must have written it about a month ago. Better late than never, I guess. Here it is:
Yesterday on our way to Target, Rose was being fussy in her car seat. To calm her down, we resorted to our usual solution: music. However, this method does not always involve popping a CD into the player—oftentimes we find ourselves CD-less and have to sing. BUT...singing the same songs can get pretty tedious at times; plus, it doesn’t allow us to continue our normal conversation. So, we’ve come up with a wonderful solution that seems to calm Rose down just fine: "songversation." Any well-known or made-up melody is fine. This is what lulled Rose to sleep the other day:
Chrissie (female voice):
Sevak, does using the radio waste gas?
Oooo…
Sevak (male voice):
Well, listening to the radio uses battery
And the battery is connected to the…[some technical explanation followed]
Chrissie (female voice):
Oooo…
So listening to the radio wastes gas?
Sometimes we sing actual “songs” (a.k.a. phrases with occasional rhymes)
Sevak (male part):
Hush, little Rose; you’re so sweet
Don’t you fuss in your car seat
I don’t want you to cry
I want you to be calm as wheat
This is the first time I ever heard someone equate wheat with calmness, but hey—I guess it works.
Yesterday Sevak made up another winner, but I can’t remember how it goes now. All I remember is that I was really laughing at the time.
3 comments:
I think you should copyright the word "songversation"!
I never knew Sevak was so musical.;) That's funny. Bruce...it doesn't ring a bell. Did she say she knew me?
Great idea!! Good thing Craig and I did not resort to that because we can't sing and it might scary the baby!
Post a Comment