Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Christmas Carol and Stuff on Rose (Isn't There Always?)

Today we saw an interesting version of The Christmas Carol with Sevak's family. A local theatre is closing (this economy!), so they gave their last performance for free at a middle school. It was good enough, but it was a musical, and I thought some of the songs were kind of awkward and non-Dickens-like. There was also a scene in which Rockette-style dancers pranced across the stage (they wore short green skirts and striped stockings)...somehow they didn't seem to fit in with the whole 19th century thing. It was entertaining enough, though, and now I can say I've seen the token Christmas Carol performance this season.

Rose was a pretty good girl during the performance, but there were some moments where I had to take her out to the lobby. There was usually a kid or two out there for her to play with. There was one little girl, probably about three or four, who was really loving Rose. She kept following her around on the floor and moving in toward her face to give her eskimo kisses. Rose would always lean her face in, too, with mouth slightly open (signature pre-bite pose). Luckily she never nipped the little girl, but she has done it to me a couple of times! The other day she bit my shoulder really hard and I yelped, which made her cry. *Oh, I'm so sorry I abruptly stopped you, Rose. Please, continue biting my shoulder.*

She's a real Mommy's girl. This morning she was out in the family room entertaining herself while Sevak did stuff. When I came out to have breakfast, she immediately scooted to me, grabbed onto my knee, and pulled herself up (she can do that now). She kept going, "eh, eh," which means she wanted me to hold her. I told Sevak to take note of what I have to deal with all day--a clingy baby. I feel like I'm holding her all the time. He said that that was the problem. I give in too easily. Oh well...I should treasure these moments (and I do--I hope I don't sound like too much of a complainer--I love her to death)!

Tonight when I put her to bed, she cried for a while, and pretty hard. I just wanted to let her cry it out because lately she has been sleeping horrendously (actually, a night ago she only woke up once--that was heaven...and a terrible joke that it didn't last). Anyway, she finally quieted down and I went in about a half hour later. I found her fast asleep, but in the most uncomfortable position. She was sitting up, with her face smashed against the bars of the crib. The rest of her body was a little ways away from the bars, so her back was arched uncomfortably. I felt so, so sorry for her. I guess if she fell asleep in that position, though, it wasn't as uncomfortable as it looked (?). I moved her into a regular sleeping position and she didn't even awaken.

Well, that's all there is to say about Rose tonight! I hope she's having visions of sugar plums...or dancing Rockettes from the 19th century.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Chrissie, you should be a columnist! What a gifted writer! What a blessing that Rose didn't wake up when you moved her into a better sleeping position. Maybe she did dream about Christmas rockettes. If so, you can blame any night waking on her awful nightmare.

Anjella said...

So cute! I wish you could have gotten a picture of her slumped over in her crib. What a little darling. Sorry we missed the play. How are you liking all this snow????

Laura said...

Chrissie, I'm feeling a little blue about Grandpa, as I'm sure you are. I'd love to hang out when you get back. xoxo