Sunday, November 15, 2009

This is the Kind of Food We Buy at Our House



It's amazing how princess packaging makes everything more attractive. Use of the word "princess" has become our new secret weapon. Child won't eat her veggies? Tell her to eat them like a princess. Won't let you clip her nails? Tell her you'll give her "princess nails." Wiggles during diaper changes? "Princess diapers." Okay, it doesn't work all the time, but heck, we always give it a shot.

4 comments:

Robin N said...

Seeing those very "girly" pink packages reminded me of something this teacher friend of mine told his class last year. .that everything his two little girls got toy-wise for Christmas was either bright pink or purple. I told him that I could totally relate because 95% of my three girls' toys were in either of those colors, and I had an attic-ful to prove it. I wonder if other cultures around the world predominantly use those colors for girls and if they use the "princess-shtick" to influence their daughters to like certain things? You were an Anthro major...do you know anything about that?

Robin N said...

BTW, I was shocked, shocked, shocked to realize that you bought those processed "kiddie foods" (since I've been the sole recipient of so much family chiding all these years for caving in to treats like that!) Was Sevak the purchaser of those??? ;)

P.S. There's a Henry's in Burbank!! I'd love to go there with you.

Julia and Aaron said...

Haha! I totally understand this! Lilly is in love with princesses too!

Chrissie said...

I know, I know, Mom--I bought the processed kiddie treats. But at least I don't buy them in bulk just because they're on sale. :) They're the occasional treat.