We started off with a train ride to Lyon. We got Rose a little activity book and she enjoyed that for a while. Simon had fun just chillin'. The following pictures represent what things were like before fatigue and boredom set in.
La la la...what a happy little family
When we took Simon's coat thing off, we realized that we were in such a hurry in the morning that we forgot to put pants on him. Sorry, buddy!
When we got to Lyon we had a little bit of a layover, so we entertained ourselves in the big mall next to the train station. We had some ratatouille from Carrefour and Sevak kept raving about it all the way from Lyon to Geneva.
This is the only pic we took in Lyon...it's of Sevak in front of a tower that says, "Crédit Lyonnais:"
When we arrived in Geneva we were already fairly tired, but we walked around during our long layover and took in some of the sites. First we saw another "Notre Dame" cathedral--I thought Paris had a copyright on that name. We took some pictures, but bleh--just imagine stained glass windows, stone walls, etc. (Can you tell I've seen too many cathedrals? It seems like they're a dime a dozen.) Rose's favorite thing to do was look at the swans and feed them. She kept saying "bed ducks" (literal translation: "bread ducks;" figurative translation: "I want to feed bread to the swans"). We got out some bread, but those crazy birds ran up and we feared for our lives, so we saved the feeding for a safer spot.
Note the swan's lack of fear (and its size)
Next we took a picture in front of famous "jet d'eau" that was originally just a security valve at the Coulouvrenière hydraulic factory.
Rose was mad that we couldn't feed bread to the aggressive swans
The water is going through Sevak's hand--haha
Next we saw the famous flower clock located at the edge of the Jardin Anglais. By this time we were tired and mad because we lost Simon's binky and Rose was being difficult. I think we were actually in an argument as we walked by the clock and we took a 15-second break so Sevak could smile for the camera. I'm laughing now, though.
Hahaha
Next we saw--you guessed it--another cathedral. This one was the cathedral of St. Pierre, though, and it was really cool because it was sort of the home church of Jean Calvin. Even as a Mormon, I am grateful for the Reformation and was interested to see where some of it took place.
Here's Sevak with Maison Tavel in the background--I think. We saw signs but were too tired to walk a few yards to see for sure.
Next we went to a toy store--we went to the same one in Zurich and Rose immediately recognized the logo when we walked past--funny how kids can do that, huh? After a little struggle, we made it out and headed for the train station.
Eating overpriced Asian food while waiting for our train to Milan. It was good, though. Hadn't had Asian for a while.
Stay tuned for Milan.
5 comments:
Loved all the pics! Can hardly wait to see the Italy ones. Comments about two pictures: Simon reminded me of the Michelin Man in that one photo with his cute "stocky" legs and white onesie! lol Also, I loved the pic of Sevak by the flower clock. Yes, that smile did look a little forced after reading the background circumstances! Gave me a good chuckle.
I miss you, sister!!!
Great pictures!!!! I didn't comment on the "we're coming back" post, but I'm excited for that too! I don't think I would have the courage to stand next to a swan. So scared of birds! Gonna stay tuned for Milan...
That is one huge swan!
Wow! Forgive my nostalgia, but these pictures make me homesick! I think it's safe to say I once stood or sat at the exact spot or very nearby every single place in those pictures. I miss the "gratte-ciel au crayon" and the clock in Geneva and the lake and even the swans (they don't scare me, for some reason). My missionary companion and I got to take a tour of La Cathédrale Saint Pierre, including walking through the archaeological excavation below. It shed so much light both on the Apostasy as well as the Restoration and was one of the highlights of many Preparation Days in Genève. Not that you're planning on going back anytime soon, but if you do see Geneva again I would recommend visiting Place Neuve and enjoying the nearby Mur des Réformateurs in the heart of Parc des Bastions. It's an awesome monument to four of the greatest men of the Reformation and is quite the sight to behold. Also, I have to add that visiting the Musée International de la Croix-Rouge et du Croissant-Rouge is great and that taking a guided tour of the United Nations Building can also be eye-opening. That's wonderful you got to go to Milan. Sometimes we'd meet people from there, and I wished it were part of the mission so that we could hop on a train and see what you got to see! Your family may definitely be called world travelers. That's especially impressive that Rose and Simon have already been to so many countries at their young age. So cool!
Post a Comment