Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hawaii

When we were making plans for our anniversary trip, we wanted to go to Greece.  However, I started thinking that a super long journey and adjustment to a new time zone/language/culture might not be incredibly relaxing (especially since I didn’t want to spend a lot of time away from the kids).  We decided to go to Hawaii instead, but our original plans were to stay in Kauai for a week.  That would have been very low-key, and after more deliberation, I realized that if I were mainly lying on the beach for a week, I would have had too much time to worry about the kids.  A couple of weeks before our trip, we modified our plans so that we would only visit Oahu, and we’d be gone for less time.  Some people have remarked that this was a short vacation, but I think four days away from the kids gave me plenty of time to rejuvenate!  I actually don’t think I could have stayed another day.  We have done some pretty amazing things.  Here’s a little summary:

Wednesday

* Arrived around 11:45
* Walked around Waikiki
* Ate: Korean BBQ at the International Market, Wolfgang Puck Express, Haagen Dazs
* Jacuzzi

View from our hotel room at the Marriott Resort and Spa

 
Some aging hippie was kind enough to create this photo opportunity for us

Thursday

* Went on a tour of the island—visited some pretty beaches, historic beaches, turtle beaches, and other beaches.

I’m kind of beached out, so instead, here’s a photo of a wild chicken and her babies.  In Hawaii, these free-roaming chickens have ample opportunity to cross the road.

* Visited Dole Plantation

Have you ever seen red pineapples?

* Visited the Polynesian Cultural Center. THE BEST PART OF THE TRIP.  I’ve always loved learning about other cultures, but for some reason I’ve never been too interested in Polynesia.  That all changed after I got to shake my hips with the Tahitians!

I have some pretty good video footage of Sevak dancing, too.


Playing a spear-throwing game

The PCC was really cool because we got to visit six “islands” (Fiji, Aoeteroa, Tonga, etc.) and learn about certain aspects of their respective cultures.  Sevak and I got the “deluxe” package, so we also enjoyed a super nice buffet at the end and watched an awesome show.  I loved all the dancing.  And what is it about cultural presentations that always brings a tear to my eye?  It’s the beautiful display of talent, but maybe this time it was also because most of the performers were sweet, happy, BYU-Hawaii students.  I love my brothers and sisters in the gospel.  And I LOVE that we also got to take a tram to the temple.

I lied.  This was the best part of the trip.   

Temples are special places.  I am grateful that Sevak and I were sealed for time and all eternity in one five years ago, which brings me to the next part of our trip…

Friday—Anniversary Day!

We started off by running to Diamond Head crater.  We pushed ourselves by running up most of the hiking path, too!  I had to stop at the steep set of stairs—I have my limits.  The view from the top was incredible, but we only have photos on our phone, which I’ll have to download later.

Then we took a shuttle to the west side of the island—the more peaceful side.  There were some beautiful lagoons, but I liked Paradise Cove most of all.  We saw some real, bona fide wildlife, living in their natural habitat:




Take a look at the background…is that not totally paradisaical? 


 
These places were a dime a dozen.  I guess it's a pretty big "destination wedding" hot spot.

We then ate on a beachfront café...

 

As if our experience couldn't get any more surreal, we were delighted by a visit from two lovebirds:

I think bird pairs are good omens for us...take a look at the side of the blog, where you'll see another "couple" that used to rest on our porch.

But wait...tropical coves, beachfront meals, and fortuitously-timed appearances of love birds just wouldn't be enough.  God just had to give us a double rainbow on our ride back to the hotel:


In the evening, Sevak surprised me with a small square box, inside of which was a golden…………ipod shuffle! :) I was thrilled, because I have been dropping hints that I need to be able to jam to some tunes while I run.  Then he took me to the spa where we got a couple massage.  Heaven.  He really pulled out all the stops with this vacation.  I don’t think I have ever experienced such luxury.

I am still in shock that we got to make such wonderful memories here in Hawaii.  And by the way, I am now hooked on this state.  I think we’ll definitely be coming back again—next time with kids.  Aloha!

4 comments:

Robin N said...

Wow....heavenly! Thanks for sharing all those beautiful photos, Chrissie. Happy 5th Anniversary, too!!

Nar said...

Happy Anniversary !!!!

Dani said...

Totally paradisaical. Once my family went to Hawaii and my little brother sat down on what he thought was a rock but what turned out to be a giant sea lion. hahahahaha!

Dani said...

Also, happy anniversary!