Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Young Women's Camp

I recently returned from spending five days in the Stanislaus National Forest with a super sweet group of women and girls. Most stake units in our church put on an annual Young Women's Camp, and I attended ours as a Level 2 Leader. I returned home a day earlier than I had planned because I missed my babies too much, but I think I probably would have been okay sticking it out to the end. Apparently Simon was great while I was gone, but now that I'm back, he's decided to be on his worst behavior. I think I actually slept better in the frigid wilderness. :)

This was my first time attending camp as an adult, so it was an interesting experience. I loved having a bit more freedom and such. For example, I was able to send an email to my family because our awesome camp secretary knew I was a young worried mom. :) I was also able to just walk into the camp fridge without anyone batting an eye.

However, camp also really brought out the "girl" in me because I was a camper myself less than ten years ago.  And since it's such a fun, silly, comfortable environment, I think many of the women let their inner girl come out. :) I also got to attend with my bomb diggety sister, Paige, who was a YCL (youth camp leader) this year.  This was a unique and special experience because we're nine years apart and never got to attend camp, school, or any other youth activities together.  And since she's my sister, I gained special access into her circle of friends.  It's okay, though...she said I didn't embarrass her too much. :)

 
She's so rad.  And guess who did those cornrows?  Yours truly.

We also did a sister rap/dance-off for the talent show.  That was a pretty big hit; I wish I had a video.  Here's a pic:


Here's a pic of our adorable "cookies" lighting the fire with their torch (we had an Olympic theme):


At the dance party, the leaders carried around bowls of neon green gummy worms, illuminated with their flashlights:


You can't tell from the pic, but here are some girls "whipping their hair back and forth," à la Willow Smith:


The nurses were the funniest ladies ever.  Here's a pic from their skit:


My level 2 girls were the best.  Here's a pic of us at the turnaround point of our hike:


And here I am with my co-level leader and fellow Armenian, Julie:


So it looks like camp was all fun and games, and it certainly was a lot of that, but I loved the multitude of opportunities we had to feel the spirit and strengthen our testimonies. There's no doubt that our world is becoming a darker place, but my hope is bolstered when I see the faith and courage of these incredible young women.  

3 comments:

Robin N said...

Awwwww......what a great post! I'm so glad you got to go to Camp, Chrissie. It's just too bad that Danville Stake doesn't come up with obnoxious camp names like Corona does! ;) Find out if anyone videotaped the talent skit...I bet someone did. Would love to see the Nelson Sister Rap! A+ job on the cornrows, Sista!

Kristina said...

Wish I could've been there. I'm sure the girls loved you! Congrats on surviving the week! :) Hope Simon gets back with the sleeping program soon.

Kathleen said...

Chrissie, I'm amazed at your experience. I'm not sure I could last even two days away from Symphany. That's wonderful you were able to be there with Paige and that you enjoyed your time with everyone. I agree with your mother. Please find footage from that skit and post it here. I would love to hear your rap!