Monday, May 14, 2012

Family Fun

Last Sunday we had stake conference at the Oakland Interstake Center, right next to the temple. It was a beautiful day, and the temple grounds were just lovely.


Later, we went to Lake Merritt and had a little picnic. So lovely. Totally reminded me of that Georges Seurat painting, Sunday Afternoon on the Island of the Grand Jatte. With a little less pointillism. And a little more ghetto-ness.


There was even a sweet young woman who bestowed this daisy chain upon Rose:


Then we fed some of the birds our leftovers:

 There was some kind of aviary there in the park, which was quite a thrill for Rose.

A couple of other pics:



You couldn't have asked for a more peaceful Sunday afternoon with family! And hearing Rose say "We had so much fun today!" at bedtime? Priceless.

The very next day, Monday, we went to the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco.

 "I am so excited to be here! And to be eating this lollipop!"

It was an interesting museum, with a very cool aquarium and a totally awesome rainforest exhibit. They basically had a temperature/humidity-controlled rainforest right there in the museum, enclosed in its own sphere. Rose was a little bummed that the scarlet macaws were out on a break, but she still loved seeing all the other birds and butterflies.

In the rainforest sphere

These were the only live animals in the African section (I'm talking about the penguins, not Rose and her papik. There were actually many live humans at the museum.).

 Simon was thrilled to touch a starfish!

 Rose was not

It was a very good day at the museum. And the fun didn't stop there. When we got home, I let the kids make a little town out of some boxes and styrofoam I found in a closet. We had a pretty awesome city going, complete with bridges, houses, ramps, and stairs. And "birdseed." Lots and lots of birdseed. Can you guess which bird lover came up with that idea? I still have styrofoam particles stuck in various crevices and corners of my living room, but it's all worth it. I like that they can transform plain old materials into playthings, and I don't have to spend a cent. That's the way it should be.


We've also been doing a fair amount of swimming lately. Both my kids are getting braver in the water, so it has been fun. 


Finally, yesterday Sevak and I went to hear a violinist play at the Lesher Center in Walnut Creek. A couple from our ward invited us because they had extra tickets and they knew I play the violin, but it just so happens that Sevak was familiar with the violinist, Sergey Khachatryan. He's a young Armenian guy, and oh-so-talented. My father-in-law watched the kids at Barnes and Noble while we were in the concert, and it went just great. Jasmine slept the whole time, thankfully. First date after baby's born--big milestone. Great times lately. Keep 'em coming!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Adorable pics! Love you all!

Sevak Tsaturyan said...

This was a very fun week now that I read it!