Good thing I have Sevak to manage my life for me. On top of promptly arranging repairs for my computer damage, he fixed the internet for me when he got home at 9:30 last night (it hadn't been working all day). He also called the tire place this morning and took our car in, because the front tire was completely flat (I hope it was from something other than my hitting one too many curbs...). I don't know what I'd do without my husband.
It goes without saying that I just don't feel on top of things anymore. It's too bad that my mood/sense of accomplishment is so connected to the state of my house. I think that's why I try to be away from home so often. :) I am sitting in a room that literally looks as if it was hit by a tornado. The kids are constantly using the couch cushions as building materials for their "houses." The other day I was trying to tidy up and they kept saying, "don't mess up my house!" I should have told them the same thing! :) They also have little piles of random stuff + scotch tape lying around. Scotch tape is one of their favorite toys.
A "house" made out of library books (avert your eyes, bibliophiles) and tape
Here's another creation--a robot--which was assembled with the help of scotch tape:
That was a project I proposed, but the other day Rose came up with one of her own:
I don't know if you can see on her blueprint, but she came up with the idea of attaching a pop-up animal to a toilet paper tube
Finished products:
Simon is definitely learning and growing every day. I am happy to say that he has been very successful with using the potty lately. For the past few days he has been dry and has been very good about telling me when he needs to go (or not telling me at all and just going...as I often find evidence left in the toilet). Here's a funny potty-related story: Last week we went to IKEA and Simon had a little accident, but I forgot to bring in his change of clothes. Oddly enough, I had a pair of Rose's shorts in my bag, so I asked if he could wear those. His eyes lit up and he was totally game for that plan. Rose, however, was not so keen on the idea. She said they were "girly" but I explained that we didn't really have another option. Then she explained that she didn't like "his bottom." She eventually relented and Simon got to prance around in her heart-patterned short-shorts. They were pretty much covered by his long shirt and you couldn't really see the hearts without looking close, but good thing Sevak wasn't there. :) He tends to worry when Simon chooses pink balloons or ladybug toys, but I know it's completely out of love for his big sister. He definitely does boy stuff that can't possibly come from anywhere other than his biology.
Rose has also been learning and growing. She goes to swim lessons every day, and has made great progress. A couple of weeks ago I finally had her wear goggles to the pool and that resulted in a big boost of confidence. She literally started seeing things in a new way. She loves to look under the water and show me how long she can hold her breath. She even swam a little by herself last night!
Rose says things that just crack me up. We were at my friend's house the other day, and her daughter Savannah asked why Jasmine's name was Jasmine. I explained that we just liked that name. I jokingly asked, "why are you Savannah, and why is your brother Rocky?" Rose chimed in and said "Savannah is a place where you go on a safari to see animals in Africa, and Rocky is rock-and-roll music." Ha! We also watched a DVD on horses recently, and there was a part where the narrator talked about a mother who just birthed a foal. Rose heard the word "birth" and immediately associated it with Simon's teacher at church, Sister Bertha.
I love seeing my kids make connections. We were reading a number book yesterday and Simon pointed to the number 8 and said "B!" They are kind of reminiscent of one another! He is also perceptive about pictures in books. For example, there was a picture of some kids sitting at a table, but one chair was empty. He pointed to it and asked, "why no one sitting here?" He is getting to be very verbal, but I love it how he still confuses his subject and object pronouns ("her is so cute") or how he confuses his conjugations (you am a yucky eyeball).
I also love it when my kids are kind to each other and others. They can both be very stubborn (after all, they are my children), but they often teach me lessons in forgiveness and humility. Rose often comes up to me after a bout of naughtiness and hugs me, saying, "I'm sorry I ______." Last night she was acting very grumpy. I think it had to do with Simon pushing her and her holding a grudge. I pointed out that she was being very moody, so she suggested that we draw each other pictures to "make each other happy." I said that was a great idea, so she drew me some rainbows as an example of what I was supposed to draw her. Then she drew me some rainbows to keep, and I drew her some rainbows (per her example). :) Then we gave each other hugs and reveled in the happiness that resulted from our drawing exchange.
These little moments really put things into perspective. The messes, the computer damage, the car repairs...who cares? These kids are far more valuable than anything else you could think of.
To finish, here are some pics from a recent trip to Great America. Sevak got a new job in Santa Clara--I'll have to write about that in another post. Anyway, we drove down with him and he dropped us off at the park. I was nervous to embark on the adventure alone with three kids, but it was really fun!
On our way..."wish me luck," I told Sevak
Luckily I took my breastfeeding pit stop near a little patch of trees, because the kids find great entertainment in collecting twigs and things from nature.
Rose was too scared to go on this one, so Simon braved it alone. He looked terrified during the ride, but he was all smiles at the end. :)
It was so fun that there were water slides for the kids! Simon loved them too.
So much fun! They loved wearing life vests.

1 comment:
What a great post about simple pleasures and reflections. Happy for Sevak and his new job. Chrissie were you always a klutz? I don't really recall many klutzy moments from childhood, but I'll dig deeper!
Post a Comment