On Thursday the kids and I headed down to Santa Clara to meet Sevak for lunch and go to Great America. There was a special deal where season pass holders (Rose and I) could bring a friend (Sevak) for a low price. I was already frazzled from a long drive/getting lost a few times/trying to find a place to eat amidst a surge of techies on lunch break. Then we arrived at the park, only to find it is now closed on weekdays. Cue the Chrissie rage. Sevak crazily suggested that we just head somewhere down south for a long weekend (since we were already an hour south of Danville). We had no clothes, toiletries or anything, but for about five minutes I went along with the plan and we were about to get on the 101 southbound, knowing only that we were going "somewhere down south." I realized that such a plan might be fine for a couple of adventurous newlyweds, but adding two kids and a baby to the mix would make for a less-than-desirable vacation experience. We went back home. A donut stop helped calm my nerves. :) We also decided that we would definitely go on a weekend getaway. Friday morning we settled on Sebastopol. It had a Marriott property and it was near Armstrong Redwoods and Bodega Bay. We left in the afternoon, after Sevak had a meeting. The kids love going to hotels (or "ho-tay-uls," as Rose, who must have been a Southerner in another life, pronounces it). The first thing they do is have a pillow fight with Daddy, and then they watch T.V.
After completing our initiatory hotel experiences, we set off for dinner. Simon's hunger has been dictating much of our lives lately, and he wanted noodles, so we ate at a cute little place called Pasta Bella. Then we got homemade ice cream at another adorable little place called...
(painted upon the table)
The chairs were all painted with a flavor:
I got peanut butter and chocolate, as usual:
The kids got "pink" as usual, and realized (as usual) that a desirable color doesn't always yield a desirable flavor. So they ate a lot of mine.
They were being so loving and cute as we walked along the sidewalks:
|
| ||
| The next day we went to the Armstrong Redwoods Reserve. We started off by exploring the visitors' center: |
Then we went into the forest. It was so peaceful being in that environment. I think the kids quite enjoyed it, too. They also left their mark by carving their names into this tree with Sevak's keys:
|
I know, how un-environmentally-friendly, right? Well, there were probably about a billion other names already carved into it...we figured it was okay. So shoot us.
Secret passageway
Good times in the forest. The drive home led us to the Russian River. We stopped there for a bit and sat around waiting for a paddle boat, but realized we really didn't want to do that (also, Simon was "hungee"). Here are a couple of pics to show we were there:
|
| ||
The kids had fun gathering buckets of water...
|
![]() | ||
They also got buried in the sand by Daddy:
|
![]() |
We also saw seals up close in the marina. It really was one of the most unplanned, completely perfect vacations. Glad we finally got one in now that summer's over! :)
|











2 comments:
Way to be spontaneous, sister! I am craving seafood now. Thanks a lot ;-D
I don't even like seafood, but I want crab cakes now. What an awesome weekend / post. All of these pictures seem so lighthearted and natural to me, and that's what I love about your family Chrissie. You guys are just so into each other that even a spontaneous weekend with three small kids, just works out. I really admire that, and you and Sevak are great parents who have it together. I know so many parents who don't. I love you guys!
My favorite picture is the one of the three kids on the bed where Jasmine is the only one smiling big for the camera. What a fantastically chubby bumpkin. I just want to squeeze her and give her a big hug.
Post a Comment