A couple of days before Halloween the kids had a parade at preschool. It was two loops around the yard, so it was short and sweet. :)
Rose was a cat, since she had already dressed up as a fairy and had yet to be a parrot (it's nice to get as much mileage as possible out of every costume we own).
After the parade the kids participated in lots of fun Halloween activities. Simon got his face painted as a doggie:
On Halloween day we flew Utah to spend some time with the Hackings before Nathan leaves on his mission to Baton Rouge! The flight was super easy. All the kids were well behaved.
Once in Utah, the kids got to try on their special bird wings that Grandma J. sewed. Simon's are blue jay wings, but at the moment I only have a pic of Rose's parrot wings:
Rose-a-rific, don't you think?
Then we went trick-or-treating with the Hackings and their cousins:
I was dressed as a "Zumba Instructor."
Throughout the week we went on nostalgia tours of BYU and favorite haunts. Here are some pics from BYU's MOA (Museum of Art):
...and here are some pics from my favorite tiny museum, The Museum of Peoples and Cultures:
making masks after viewing the mask exhibit
putting masks on a puppet
weaving like Mayan women
Jasmine was interested in the pictographs made by her big sister
Another cool thing I did was chop off my hair and highlight it! I had to take advantage of Utah's reasonable prices and free babysitting provided by family. :)
I had a sweet hairstylist who happened to fit many of the stereotypes of a young female Utahn. Upon entering the salon I noticed the radio was on and she quickly asked, "You like country, right?" Well, sure! She also proceeded to tell me that her husband (who was from "all over"--Salem, Lindon, pretty much anywhere in central Utah) was off hunting. She enjoys the venison he procures, but food-wise, that's about exotic as she'll get, as she doesn't like "a lot of spices." :)
After I got my new 'do we took family photos. Can't wait to see/post them! There was some down time here and there while various sub-groups got their pictures taken, so the kids entertained themselves by throwing large tree branches into the river.
And Aunt Jill played airplane with Jasmine:
By the way, Jasmine was sporting some super hip skinny jeans, but her rolls made it a little tricky to button them, so I just had to snap a shot of her muffin top:
Speaking of muffin tops, FOOD!
Café Rio, of course
BYU Creamery
"Ice cream cone; hold the ice cream"
We also enjoyed a delicious feast at my cousin Janelle's home:
Lahmajun, shish kebab...Armenians in da house!
Sarma
Jasmine got to meet her sweet second cousin Julia:
I also got to reconnect with her beautiful mommy, my cousin Laura
Sevak and Jackie, my "cousin once removed" :)
Most of the kiddos
We also had fun as a little nuclear family. Once day the five of us hiked the Y (there is literally a big letter "Y" on the mountain).
Ready for some fun!
We had one child carrier, but there were many times Rose would have liked for us to have more than one:
Simon was such a trooper even though he was probably less physically capable than his sister. Rose was a drama queen, as evidenced by her bending down in exhaustion (she was running the next minute). Incidentally, the kids did end up taking turns in the carrier.
We made it!
(Fun fact: Rose peed on the Y.)
The best thing of all was being with the Hackings. Rose and Simon got so much attention...they were in heaven.
Who wouldn't love to play dress up with a cool 14-year-old? (P.S. We were lucky to be able to see Hannah act in her play--she rocked!)
Who wouldn't love to watch a cool 11-year-old play video games? (I remember LOVING to watch my dad play games on the computer)
Who wouldn't love to make dinosaur cookies? (And get to stay up past bedtime to wait for them to finish baking?)
So as you can see, it was a great trip. We love you, Utah! We love you, family!

























7 comments:
What a fun, photo-filled post! You have succeeded in making me nostalgic for Utah (which may be hard to do :) and baby-hungry!!! :)
Your hair looks great! Your baby is getting so big! We wish we could have seen you guys while you were here. The End ;)
In the "most of the kiddos" shot, third kiddo from the left in the blue top...that's a spittin' image of Megar. WOW.
PS. It's becoming harder and harder for me to prove that I'm not a robot when I'm trying to leave a comment. These captcha things are ridiculous!
Swati, you are absolutely right. And you want to know something? Her name is Megan, too. :-)
WHAT! Get out of here. How!? This is so crazy. I mean, she looks EXACTLY like Megan when she was little. And even now. Same face.
This is so hilarious and great. Also, I know I've said this three times already, but I totally love the new hair do. You're totally looking like one of those edgy San Francisco moms.
Also, is Rose against having her hair up or in a pony? I think she would look super cute with two cinnamon buns or a pony, or some kind of twisty hairstyle. I want to see those cheekbones! What do you think Chrissie? I'm positive you have hairstyle ideas because you always did cute styles when we were in school.
Yeah, Rose is generally unenthusiastic about me doing her hair. Not enough patience. Also, she hates me brushing through her tangles because it's ouchie. Sometimes we manage a cute style...there are a few pony pics on the blog.
Post a Comment