Thursday, February 21, 2013

Ode to Danville

I've always been a little turned off by "location pride." As in, "Don't Mess with Texas," NorCal/SoCal rivalries, East Coast vs. West Coast, etc. However, I'm really starting to grow attached to my Danville. I won't tattoo our town insignia's old oak tree on my arm or anything, but the Ville definitely holds a dear spot in my heart. I am definitely becoming more connected to my community...I feel like I always know at least one person whenever I go to the park, even if I recognize him/her as being a friend of a friend. Parks are great places to hit on other moms, too. I've gotten quite a few numbers and have even gone on a couple of (play) dates, thanks to parks. :) 

Danville also has great schools. I just registered Rose for kindergarten and I'm so excited. I get such warm fuzzy feelings being on elementary school campuses. I can still remember my school days...Girl Scouts...violin...embracing childhood the way only a child can. In elementary school, kids are still innocent and love their parents. :) I remember being so excited when my dad came to lunch in our cafeteria one day. I also remember being so excited that my mom went on our field trip to the museum. She was very involved in my education and extra-curricular activities, and I am nostalgic thinking that I am now about to follow in her footsteps.

Another great thing about Danville is that we have such an active community. There are always people biking, running, and hiking. We've got the roads and trails to support it, too. The Iron Horse Trail is an old railway line that is now paved...it's 33 miles long! It's accessible from our home and we use it all the time. We actually just went on a family bike ride on Saturday. Mt. Diablo State Park is also right around the corner from us. We went there a couple of months ago for the second time and the kids had a blast. They enjoy climbing in the small caves in "Rock City:"


There are also hiking trails in the local Las Trampas Regional Wilderness, and this morning Jasmine and I went on one while the kids were in preschool. 


Hefting a chubby baby definitely added to my cardio. So did trudging through thick mud:

 
Note to self: don't go hiking after a big rain.

The experience was so worth it. The cows were just munching along the trail, unrestrained. Jasmine was certainly intrigued.


And we got to see some beautiful views. Even a little snow on Mt. Diablo:


I've mentioned before how we also see wild turkeys parading about, and once I even saw and heard some roosters crowing in a bush at the park (?). Don't know what that was all about. 

Some other local things we enjoy doing: 

* Visiting one of the libraries in the Contra Costa County Library System. You can check out books from one location and return them at another. It's great. 

* Strolling around Blackhawk Plaza, possibly visiting the Blackhawk Museum while there 

* Visiting Walnut Creek's Lindsay Wildlife Museum, one of the oldest wildlife rehabilitation centers in the U.S. It's such a cute little place where we get to learn about local wildlife.

Playing in an exhibit at the LWM

* Visiting the Danville Farmer's Market or San Ramon Farmer's Market

* Visiting the Oakland Zoo

* Visiting the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley


* Visiting the Oakland Museum of California



*Going into San Francisco, and much, much more!

I love our home sweet home!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Chrissie, besides being an awesome Zumba instructor (and French teacher--any kind of teacher, really), I think you're also cut out for anything dealing with public relations. Reading your praises about Danville stirs up a bit of envy. Wow, there is so much to see and do all around you. Oh, and I would swap our windchill of 18 degrees Fahrenheit with the apparent current 61 you have right now. Sound like a fair trade? Yeah, I didn't think so either ;).

Swati said...

Where's the ode to Corona???

Just kidding! Danville seems great though. I love the cows.