Thursday, July 18, 2013

When it Rains, It Pours

Like how I'm "rationing" out my photos in easy-to-manage posts, Swati? HA!

Here's a video of Jasmine in the pool to whet your appetite. 

And here are more PHOTOS...

At the Children's Creativity Museum in SF. I got free passes from the library AND free BART passes from a special promotion they were running. Rose was freaked out about taking the train into the city (just as she was freaked out by our boat trip a little while ago), but she ended up loving it. It was a fun little outing. And I did it all on my own with three kids. Woot woot.

Here is Simon hard at work. This area of the museum really engaged my kids. They each picked a card with an unusual prompt (e.g. "a hat for a crab," "a friendly robot"). Then they picked a mystery box and had to work with whatever supplies were within to create whatever was typed on the card. Right up their alley. They did like three cards each and didn't want to leave.

We went to the Danville Street Festival on the very same night of our museum visit (And by "we," I still mean the three kids and me. Sevak was working late). Simon enjoyed getting a penguin glitter tattoo.

 Rose getting her bird (what else?) glitter tattoo

 Of course Jasmine didn't want to be left out!

Ok. Here's another museum. California Academy of Sciences. I alluded to the fact that we went there in my last post. This was in the rainforest exhibit. It was a completely enclosed ecosystem. There were tons of butterflies flitting about...here are Sevak and Jasmine trying to touch some. 

Forced smiles

I don't know why I look as if a monster butterfly is about to pierce me with its killer proboscis.

 Good ol' shaving cream on the table trick 

This activity was originally all about creating "octopuses" which would be boiled in a pot, thus softening their noodle arms and cooking their hot dog bodies. It of course evolved into the creation of dogs, pterodactyls, and porcupines (pictured). I love a child's creativity. Reminds me of this quote: 

"When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college--that my job was to teach people how to draw. She stared at me, incredulous, and said, 'You mean they forget?'" – Howard Ikemoto 

Speaking of creativity, Rose has been going to art camp this week at Marvegos Art School. I love the philosophy of this studio, and Rose has been having a blast.

 
Not exactly sure of all the media used in this composition, but I think there's a tissue paper base with some kind of light paint wash over it, and maybe oil pastels for the birds?

P.S. Prior to going to art camp today we went to the park and Rose got drenched in the water feature. I didn't have extra clothes for her, but I did have some for Jasmine...would you believe these are them? The shorts are more like capris on Jasmine, but the shirt probably fits her about the same as it fits Rose, what with all her rolls... :-)

 While sister's away, brother will play. Bubble exploration.

 


 This pic cracks me up because he got some bubbles in his eye. Poor buddy.

 We also made a jellyfish. Pinterest fail.

Ok...all for now. Look out--you never know when mass uploader Chrissie may strike again. ;)

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

That was awesome evidence of your previous declaration of Jasmine being a water baby--a beautiful water baby, at that!

If Symphany ever gets to spend time with your family and engage in such creative play, she will be endlessly giddy. I think I may be one of those grown-ups who has forgotten how to draw.

I'm glad Rose, Simon, and Jasmine have a mother who still remembers!

Swati said...

THANK YOU FOR RATIONING FOR ME. We need to keep doing this Great Depression style and like crack on the streets. It has to be a steady stream otherwise all the crack addicts go bezerk. I learned that on HBO's The Wire.

I'm really impressed by how many enriching things you guys do as a family. Your kids are going to be so mutifaceted and passionate. Rose really seems to gravitate toward the arts. I wonder what she's going to be when she grows up. On the one hand I'm curious, and on the other I feel like she's growing up way too fast. Slow down kids, you're making me nervous!

I want to spend time with you guys. :)

Swati said...

And PS! I saw the video of the kids the other night when you sent it via email. Ok. This is so embarrassing for me to watch because I totally won't stick my head in the water. When I do come over, rain or shine, the kids have to teach me.

!!!