Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Food

We've basically been living out of suitcases for over a month...our stuff still hasn't arrived from the U.S. (and probably won't get here for a few more weeks). The Embassy provides basic cookware and linens in the meantime. Sometimes it's a bit annoying to not have what I'm looking for, but it's never a huge deal. When you take away all the trappings you realize how little you actually need to get by and be happy. The only things I'm really missing are the kids' toys. :) I think having them would put less pressure on me to provide entertainment. That being said, the kids have been forced use their creativity. The other day Rose made a sea monster out of some cardboard and tape. Yesterday they ran around the yard, pretending to be horses. And of course they like catching lizards.

The other "stuff" that I'm slightly concerned about not having is our shipment of consumables. We got a bunch of stuff from Costco before we left and had it shipped here. When I first arrived I kind of panicked, not knowing where to buy food and not knowing if they had the kind of food we'd need, etc. However, our friend F. has taken us--and continually offers to take us--to the different spots that are best for certain items: cheese, bulk items, oranges, produce, etc. Imported items are expensive, so by default I've just bought the bare necessities: produce, bread, beans, grains. The other day I did get some sandwich bags to contain things in the kids' lunches. I have a newfound zeal for frugal home economics: seeing what I can make with what I've got.  

Eggplant sautéed with garlic, onions, and a "sweet pepper." I added cumin, salt, cilantro, a little bit of water for moisture, and let it cook in a covered pot for a while. It was actually rather yummy despite its appearance. Served with bulgur that we happened to bring from DC.

This, plus the bag of fish in a picture below, I bought for approximately 30 USD.

I bought these at another outdoor market F. showed me. They were a buck…I probably could have gotten them for less but I don't haggle. They are a soft bread filled with spiced mashed potatoes, and they were absolutely delicious. The sauce was a sweet/spicy/sour concoction. I tasted mango in it. I don't know what these things are called…Swati, maybe you can help me out.

 I bought these from that market too. I paid four bucks for a good amount…I ended up freezing some. Again, I don't know what they're called. I definitely wouldn't buy meat from that market, but the fish smelled and looked very fresh. And these are from the ocean instead of the yucky canals or rivers. 

 The lady who sold them told me how to prepare them. I removed the backbone, seasoned with salt (didn't have pepper) and lime (and I added fresh ginger just for the heck of it), dipped them in flour (only had whole wheat) and fried. They were yummy!

This morning I made my own coconut milk because I'm planning on doing a potato coconut curry tonight.

The meat pulls off fairly easily from the shell. There's a thin brown membrane, but I just eat it. I think (hope) that's okay…

 Chopped coconut meat and water in the blender

 Pulpy liquid

Drained through a thin mesh sieve

3 comments:

Swati said...

I have to comment at length later, but I just wanted to let you know that it is ok to eat the brown film on coconut Chrissie! Indian people eat that stuff 24/7. That brown skin is just on all mature coconuts under the shell. If you ate a green coconut, it would be like half hardened egg white texture without the brown.

Eat away!

Robin N said...

LOVE YOUR POSTS, CHRISSIE!! Keep 'em coming for us peeps back home! <3 <3 <3

Laura said...

man i'm so impressed with all your cooking chrissie. you are really being resourceful. looks like you guys are eating really healthily too. love all these posts. i don't know why i'm just commenting on the food ones. haha.