Friday, May 8, 2015

Curaçao

I'm doing things a little out of order here; my last post was on Suriname, but in actuality we went to Curaçao before Suriname (Spring Break time). We wanted to go because we got some good deals on airfare, and I never like sticking around Guyana for so long while the kids are out of school. :) I was expecting Curaçao to be like Barbados, but it definitely had its own feel. I also thought I would hear a lot of Dutch because Curaçao is part of the Netherlands Antilles. However, what we mostly heard was Papiamentu. We heard Dutch from the Dutch tourists, and street names/official stuff was in Dutch, but the popular language is the Spanish/Portuguese creole known as Papiamentu. This is one thing I really love about the Caribbean...I can't imagine more of a melting pot. The topography and climate were also slightly different from Barbados. It was more desert-y. There were cactus plants all around. Picture time.

 The first Marriott property we stayed at was in a busy commercial area known as Rif Fort. 

Colorful cow.

 Enjoying a cool treat while a steel pan drummer entertains us in the background. 

Pretty eyes.

You can't tell a whole lot from this picture, but the buildings in Curaçao are quite colorful. Apparently a governor from the 19th century claimed that the sun reflecting off the bright white buildings gave him migraines, so he ordered everyone to paint their homes and businesses anything other than white. Supposedly he also had a large share in a paint company at the time...

 Cool cats

Feeling welcomed in a Papiamentu sort of way.

Some other friends of ours came to Curaçao at the same time, so it was fun to hang out with them a bit. This is at the Dolphin Academy. 

 Sevak and I thought Rose would get into a job like this. 

Appropriately clad for the Dolphin Academy.

 Petting the flamingo.

Now the other kids.

We forgot Jasmine's stroller, and it was really hard when she got sleepy.

 Touch pool.

Feeling the shark.

Up close and personal with the fish.

 That guy gave me a kiss on the cheek, but we didn't want to shell out the exorbitant amount they asked for the picture. 

These are the photos for which we did shell out the dough:








And that was that!

 Our other friends--the Madls--were also in Curaçao at the same time. What fun! One thing we did at this beach was swim out to a wooden dock about 100 yards from shore. Got a little scary for a second with Simon on my back, but my athletic friend Julia saved us. :)

 Looking regal at the ostrich farm.

Feeling sick at the ostrich farm.

Ostrich eggs are very strong...Rose is standing on one.

And Simon laid one.

 Feeding time.

 Eating some yummy gelato with our friends.

I would go back in a heartbeat. :)

2 comments:

Megan said...

Precious photos and people!!

Sevak Tsaturyan said...

Love this post! Blogs are still so much cooler to read than facebook posts. It feels more like a journal to keep track of.