Thursday, August 4, 2016

Summertime Update

Summer is slipping by. We haven't had a true "vacation" because Sevak's schedule is pretty inflexible. Language training is like being back in college but there aren't really any allotted break times or holidays to speak of. If you miss class you'll just be forced to play catch-up. I haven't wanted to travel much anyway due to being pregnant. We were thinking of going down to Florida at one point, but Zika had me a little edgy. Luckily we've had plenty of visitors come to us, so that has kept us busy and entertained this summer!

Sevak's sister and her family flew in on July 4th. It was their first time coming to the U.S. They were only with us a couple of days before Sevak flew down with them to Florida and got them settled into the place we bought down there. They're spending the whole summer there, getting a taste of the U.S. and also doing some projects for us in the home. :) By the way, when Astghik arrived, Sevak's cousin also came down for a little visit (he and his family now live in Brooklyn for his job). After all the Armenian festivities were over, we had about a week off and then got a visit from the Hackings. They were visiting Jill, who had done a summer publishing program at NYU. They came down here and we did some fun stuff in the city. One thing we did that I had never done before was visit the capitol building. It was neat to get a taste of history and see our government in action. My kids really enjoyed being around Zach and Hannah, their Pokemon/Minecraft/Lego/Wii idols. :) They also enjoyed playing a funny card game called "Exploding Kittens." And of course they relished getting lots of love from Aunt Jill and Grandma J and Grandpa D.

After the Hackings left we had about another week of "break" and then my friend Rehana and her son Rahim visited us from Guyana. What a great reunion. They got my mind back into Caribbean mode. :) We went into the city a little bit...saw the Lincoln Memorial and the Korean War Memorial. We also met up at a water playground with some other Foreign Service friends from Guyana--Cary and her daughter Lindy. We went to a farm to pick our own peaches and saw the BFG. Rehana also did some yummy Guyanese cooking. All in all, a great time.

My kids have done a few activities/camps this summer: swim lessons for Simon/Jasmine, lacrosse and dance camp for Rose, electronic lab for Rose/Simon. Before summer is over, I wouldn't mind going down to Mt. Vernon or another museum or two.

Baby seems to be healthy. I told Sevak I didn't think she'd be as big as Jasmine (who was 8 lb. 15 oz.) because I don't think I'm as big, but he lovingly told me that I've never been as big as I am now. So we shall see. I'm still teaching Zumba (and yoga). I have to admit, it is starting to get a little hard. I have less motivation, but I think I still deliver a great class to my students, and I always feel happy and grateful after I work out. And the baby is still moving around plenty and has a strong heartbeat.

Symptoms right now: a little bit of pubic symphysis stuff, which I had with Jasmine toward the end of the pregnancy. Basically, rolling over in bed or doing stuff that requires the use of one leg over another gives me some pain in my pubic area, because the ligament down there is really soft and the pelvic bone is more prone to misalignment. I occasionally have a little heartburn and I'm waddling now. Breasts are not leaking as they did during my prenatal period with Rose (and maybe Simon). Interestingly, I get a bit of nausea now and then. I think my stomach is more squished now, so that's why. I actually threw up a couple mornings ago...it was like morning sickness had come back. I think I've gained about 20/25ish pounds so far...can't remember how much I gained with the others. No swelling...never really had that with the others either.

I'll try to post soon after the baby comes!

No comments: