She seems to be the most grunt-y of all our kids. Whether it's finishing a meal, waking up from a nap, or going poop (no surprise there), any action seems to be grunt-worthy for Zinnia. She also seems to pass a lot of gas. She makes very indelicate sounds for such a dainty little thing!
She farts a lot in her sleep and also when she wakes up. This is a total mom-nerd thing to say, but I love her little toots.
Zinnia sleeps in Sevak's and my bed. That's the way that has worked best for us and that I actually feel most comfortable with. I'm not a fan of being disturbed every couple of hours for milk, but I also kind of love waking up with a little body snuggled next to mine. She's my dolly.
She is starting to make sweet little noises that sound as if she is experimenting with her voice.
She has the most precious smiles.
At Zinnia's one-month appointment the doctor detected a little heart murmur that he was not too concerned about, but he had me go to the pediatric cardiologist just in case. Zinnia had a little EKG plus an ultrasound of her heart. I wish I had gotten pictures of those tests...it was super cute but sad at the same time to know that little infants would be in a condition to need such exams. She was a really good girl, especially since it was taking a long time to get through all the tests. During the ultrasound she was getting fussy so I ended up feeding her while the technician finished up. Anyway, the doctor said she had a small hole in one of her chambers, but it was totally normal for an infant and would almost certainly close up. After the ultrasound, Zinnia got a miniature book as a prize for being a trooper.
Our whole family adores her. This really has been the best postpartum experience because I have so many little helpers who are willing to distract or play with Zinnia. She's not just my baby; she belongs to us all.
Jasmine
She does seem like she's become more mature since losing her spot as the "baby" of the family. It could also have to do with the fact that she's now in a five-day-a-week preschool which is part of our public school district. The school building is more reminiscent of a "big kid" school and she rides the bus to and from school every day. When I pick her up from the bus stop I also pick up her friend Addie and watch her for a couple of hours. Addie's family is in our ward and her parents are both in a Thai class so they can't be at the bus stop when the preschoolers get home. It has actually been nice to watch her, because Jasmine has a playmate with whom to occupy her time instead of being stuck with me (or the iPad) for entertainment until her brother and sister come home from school. Anyway, it's so cute to see Jasmine wearing a backpack and walking down the hall with her friend after school, discussing the events of the day.
Lately Jasmine is into hairstyles and likes to have me braid her hair or do it in a special way. This is definitely different than Rose. She also likes make-up and usually puts on some kiddie eye shadow before church every Sunday. She loves to wear stretchy leggings...I haven't been able to get her to wear anything else for a long time. Except dresses. And a few weeks ago she started wearing denim shorts because her friend wears them.
Jasmine is a little bit of a picky eater. She loves fruit and will usually always eat that. She also loves plain buttered noodles (with cheese) or macaroni and cheese. She does not like turkey or ham sandwiches but enjoys plain peanut butter (no jelly or honey) sandwiches. Sometimes I have to get creative with her lunches. She also likes tubes of flavored yogurt and cheese sticks. Oh and she actually likes cucumbers and carrots and has been known to eat salad.
Simon
Simon is growing into a fine young man. He seems to be well-liked among his friends and peers. I know at the beginning of the school year he was kind of nervous and sensitive because a lot of his Oakwood friends had moved away and he was about to enter a new class at school. However, it seems like he has found his niche. One day at the bus stop I heard a bunch of kids call out to Simon in a friendly way. Later that day at pick-up a little boy told me, "Simon is a good friend," kind of in a way that an adult would talk up a colleague at a networking session or something. Haha...I can't really describe it but it was a mature-sounding remark. Anyway, I'm glad he's doing well socially. He likes Nerf guns, Pokemon cards, Lego, and Minecraft stuff. He has incorporated a few new words into his vocabulary: epic, dude, OMG, etc. The result is that he sometimes sounds like a teenage surfer dude. He's still a little smarty pants. Sometimes he's a bit of a smart aleck too. :) But mostly just smart. The other day he was doubling numbers for fun and writing down the equations in a little notebook (32 + 32 = 64, 64 + 64 = 128, etc.). He is taking violin lessons (started during the summer). He was super stoked about it at the beginning, but now he is often resentful and angry when I tell him he has to practice. I think he has a real knack for it though, if he would just stick with it.
Rose
Rose is blossoming into a fine young woman. She is a bit opposite of Simon in some respects. She can initially be a little shyer than her brother (e.g. when answering unfamiliar adults she'll murmur or look away), but once she gets to know someone she'll become very outgoing, probably more so than Simon. I think she has a stronger personality and can be a little less adept at reading social cues. She's very confident and doesn't seem to worry as much as her brother. However, she's not completely oblivious to those around her. She is also well-liked by her friends.
Rose is also a smarty pants. Her teacher just recommended her for the gifted program because she excels in reading. She is indeed a fan of reading lately. Currently she's into a series of books called Warriors, which is about clans of wild cats. It figures that Rose would enjoy an animal-themed fantasy. :) I was pretty impressed that the other day she made a whole little village scene based on what she's reading in her book. She took information from something she's voluntarily reading and translated it into a visual scene...that's pretty impressive! She even got her brother and sister in on the action.
It has even expanded since I took this photo.

1 comment:
It's was so nice to have updates on the kids. I'm fascinated by their distinct personalities. I especially relate to Simon's. He seems like such a sensitive boy and deep thinker. All of them are precious though. I love how Zinnia farts. I would find that adorable too. She's the little tooter! BTW I don't feel like wearing anything but stretchy leggings either.
Post a Comment