Friday, January 19, 2018

Roma

My mom and dad came for a visit at Christmas time and we were all so thrilled to see them! It is a huge deal to travel half way around the world, so we were very appreciative of their visit. We saw and did a lot of fun things in Germany, but one highlight of our time together was our little trip to Rome. My mom studied Italian in her younger years, so I think it was a neat experience for her to "live the language" for a few days. The Roman food, history, and culture were all so special. It was even fun to just spend some down time in our great AirBnB accommodations right near the Vatican. Here are some photos from the trip.

 Eating lunch on our first day at Taverna Tre Pupazzi, right around the corner from our apartment.

 Rose always loves Calamari!

 There were lots of cute fountains like this all around the city.

 First time I've ever seen phallic-shaped pasta!

 Waiting to get into St. Peter's Basilica

The pigeons in St. Peter's Square seemed to capture Zinnia's attention more than anything else. She kept trying to pet them. :)


I got a couple of pictures from inside the Basilica, but mostly I was focused on trying to keep Zinnia reverent and not running into cordoned-off areas, etc. She was a little mischief maker that day!

 We actually mailed a few postcards from the world's smallest country.

The Swiss Guard

 The wall around the Vatican. Jasmine was tired of walking...

 Inside the Vatican museum, where the Sistine Chapel is located.

 We were like cattle being herded through the museum circuit.

 Sistine Chapel...I actually wasn't allowed to take a photo--whoops.

 We found Armenian!

 We found a robin for Grandma Robin!

Panettone and Pandoro are two types of Italian Christmas cakes. This one is Pandoro (it doesn't have bits of dried fruit in it like Panettone). It was pretty good! Tasted caramelly. 

 Boxes of Pandoro and Panettone in the crowded little grocery store down the street from us.

 Simon tipped a violinist who was playing at Castel Sant'Angelo.


 Mom walking down a bridge in front of Castel Sant'Angelo

We went on a food tour and Roberta, the lady on the left, was our guide. The first thing we tasted were grapes from the local market.

 There were a number of interesting produce items that were unfamiliar to us.

 I didn't realize that "pizza" is actually just a type of flat bread. The sauce and cheese are not integral to its definition, but they are common toppings. This is pizza rossa from Forno.

 Platter with prosciutto and other yummy cold cuts/cheeses from Birra e Sale.

 Zinnia was digging it!

 She also had a love/hate relationship with the Orangina we drank at a place with yummy sandwiches.

 Fried squash blossoms and a type of arrancini (fried rice ball)

 Chocolates from Venchi



 Cannoli!

 Candied orange peels (bottom shelf) appeared to be super popular in Italy.

 Mom being all gangsta-like in our posh Uber ride.

 
Colloseum



Zinnia started dancing to the accordion player, and then some other little boy decided to join in. 

This is the type of unplanned, carefree fun that Italian tourism videos are made of. :)

 
Took a cannoli break at a little playground.


 
This playground had a bunch of used/donated tricycles and even books and games in a little bookshelf! It was a cute place for a nice break.

 Random orange/citrus trees all about.



 We got one last Venchi fix at the airport before we flew back to Frankfurt.

 So much fun wore us out! Thanks, Simon or Rose for taking this surprise photo!

3 comments:

Jill Hacking said...

Hahah that pasta!! Also that cheese plate looks so yummy! What a nice dreamy trip. Your travelogues are my favorite kind. They highlight all the good stuff! :)

Chrissie said...

Thanks Jill! I was thinking about you tons when we were there because of your stint with the Italian language. Remember when we made cannoli out of ice cream cones? :) Wish I could share a plate of penis pasta with you!! Hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Chrissie, I absolutely LOVED these two posts!!!!! Wow, you did such a great job of documenting our vacation. I'm extremely grateful. Brings back such beautiful memories. I want to return!! PS I'm even brushing up on Italian on duolingo! haha!