We have been in Frankfurt a little over one calendar year. The very first semester we got here (halfway through last school year) the kids attended ISF, International School of Frankfurt. This school year, the kids attend Frankfurt International School--FIS (creative difference between the two names, right?). Anyway, their first school was fine, but quite rigid in its curriculum. Also, almost nobody from our American community attends that school. I think it was a little hard for my kids to settle in because they didn't have the chance to make many friends in our neighborhood. On the contrary, the social community at FIS is phenomenal and I feel much more at home here. I also love that FIS follows the Primary Years Program, which is the IB program for elementary school (it's what the kids did at their school in Virginia before moving to Germany). One thing I have to say is that the kids seemed to be doing more challenging math at their old school, plus they got swimming instruction there. However, I think the social aspect is so important, and I'm glad the kids are part of an excellent community where learning appears to be more of a joy.
Meanwhile, I've started sending Zinnia to a little nursery a few times a week, for a few hours at a time. I seem to put the kids in school earlier and earlier as we go along...:) I also happen to work at Zinnia's school, and I've occasionally subbed in her "class." Normally I teach Library and Kids' Zumba. It's always hard for me at first to be separated from my kids, but Zinnia is finally adjusting (i.e. not crying) when I drop her off at nursery. In fact, she seems to enjoy socializing with--or at least being in the presence of--other little ones.
Zinnia sometimes goes on walks with her little class. Here she is nestling into her classmate's shoulder.
One day I subbed for Art and my own kids had no school, so Jasmine came along and was a great helper, along with Zinnia!
Sometimes I am a "Mystery Reader" in Jasmine's class, and Zinnia loves the opportunity to feel like a big kid amongst Jasmine's classmates.
Rose's classmates always ooh and aah over her too.
Rose and Simon have violin lessons with a nice Canadian woman who comes to our home. They are making good progress!
Sevak and Simon at Simon's invention fair. Sevak and I actually came in once or twice to assist his class while they were in the building phase.
Jasmine went on a field trip to the local Fire Station. She learned how to call "112" and give her address. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment