Yesterday Sevak and I went to the San Diego Zoo with our friends Colby and Sarah. It was quite nice to get out of the desert for a bit. Plus, I hadn't been to the zoo since my childhood. Anyway, we took the 74 to get there, which provided for a scenic drive (it goes through quaint little towns, like Anza). The zoo itself was fabulous. My favorite animals to watch were the monkeys and gorillas. Their mannerisms are so human-like and contemplative. It seemed as if the gorillas looked at the crowd with an air of pure haughtiness, as if to say, "you screaming, picture-snapping humans have no idea what we're capable of." It's probably true. The smaller monkey species were less serious, however, and it was really fun watching them swing around and interact with one another.
The most surprising thing of all happened while we were admiring the Asian and African elephants. They were all on one side of the enclosure, when one suddenly decided to walk over toward us. We were quite flattered that it went out of its way for our viewing pleasure, until it turned its rear to us and violently urinated. It then defecated. We were caught off-guard, to say the least. We sure got a good laugh out of that one. Well, here are some pictures of our zoo experience (sans elephant defecating):

Sevak and I on the "skyfari"

Pink flamingos (who, I learned, stand on one leg to conserve body heat)

The mischievous elephant
3 comments:
That is so cool that you went to the San Diego Zoo! I'm totally jealous! (Not about the elephant part, although that would have been hilarious! Wow! I'm sure you weren't expecting that one.) Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're doing well and that you get to do fun & new things, like go to the zoo!
Did you know that flamingos are pink because of their highly concentrated diet of shrimp? At least that's what I recently read. . .it brings truth to the theory that "we are what we eat"! Sorry to hear about the elephant "urination incident". Glad you were far enough away! ;)
I love that picture of you and Sevak at the zoo. You looke G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S.
Post a Comment