Monday, September 24, 2007

Shameful Blogger

I apologize for my absence on the blogging scene during the last couple of months. There really is no excuse, but I think I got so far behind on posting that I started to wonder if I should even recommence.

Well, I'm back for now. I guess I could begin by talking about my new job as an ESL teacher at the local community college. It is very rewarding indeed. I must say that I find it more amusing than my library position, although I hope none of my library cronies are reading this. Don't get me wrong; the company I work for can be pretty fun. I mean, what other organization has library drill cart team competitions? (Imagine a bunch of librarians scooting around on book carts, synchronized swimming-style). Oh, by the way, if you want to see a short video clip of me at the library on "Talk Like a Pirate Day," here's the link: http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070920/VIDEO/70919027/-1/yourtown06.

Anyway, as I was saying, teaching is very fun. My class consists of approximately 25 Mexicans and 1 Guatemalan. There used to be a Vietnamese lady, but she wasn't officially registered, so I had to tell her to leave. That's really a shame, because she sure added a lot of spunk to the class. I mean, not only was she learning English, but she was doing it in a room full of heavy Spanish accents--and she did it all while smiling and nodding.

When my students want to get my attention, they call, "Teacher! Teacher!" Their questions are usually some muddle of mispronounced English and Spanish words they use in place for the English ones they don't know, which makes it kind of confusing for me. It's fun, though, and I've picked up some new Spanish vocabulary in the process, like "ama de casa" (homemaker) and something like "concuno," which is a kinship term that doesn't even exist in English. So, in conclusion, teaching ESL has been an educational AND anthropological experience, and I've really learned to appreciate these humble gardeners, cooks, and construction workers trying to learn English.

To close, here is a picture that has nothing to do with this entry at all, other than the fact that it's pretty cool. Try to see if you can determine which child is me, and which is my mom.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Chrissie, I am so happy you're back! I was wondering how you guys are doing. I loved those baby pictures of you and your mom. You both haven't changed much:) Glad to hear you're doing well. Your ESL experience sounds really fun.

Anne said...

I'm so glad that you found a job that is an educational AND anthropological experience! It just wouldn't fit you if it wasn't both!

We watched the video several times! My girls loved it and we've headed out to the website to find "our" pirate names:

Anne ~~ Cap'n Audra Golddigger
Micaela ~~ Cap'n Tess Rotgut
Chloe ~~ Pirate Evelyn the Parrotless
Eleanor ~~ Barnacle Breath Dolores
Margaret ~~ Black Death Adele

Take care!

Anne, Micaela, Chloe, Eleanor and Emme....in Hawai`i!

Anne said...

P.S. I asked my FIL. He said that the word Concunado (cone coon ya though, the n would have a tilde over it) which would mean two sisters married to two brothers or vice versa. Your right, I don't think there is an English equivalent. Concuna means wild pigeon. Knowing you, you'll have Spanish under your belt soon too! ;o)