Monday, December 3, 2007

My Artwork

I was just going through some of my old papers and came across these exquisite works of art from yesteryear. The first one is in chalk, and as my mom's caption on the back indicates, is entitled, "Girl Saying 'No' to Beer"



I think you'll agree that even though I was only four when I created this drawing, my goal was to convey a strong social message. You'll note that the presence of beer on the girl's head indicates her preoccupation with and dependence on the substance. The absence of beer from the other girl's head indicates her freedom from addiction. Furthermore, the large "NO" in capital letters above her head indicates her strength, determination, and integrity.

The next piece of art is entitled, "Mommy"



Note the attention to detail, such as the large-framed glasses my mother wore back in the day. You'll also notice a red heart above her head, symbolizing the love and warmth she offered (and continues to offer). The miscellaneous letters at the top of the image certainly render an abstract quality to the drawing, and most likely represent the inadequacy of words in describing complex emotions, like love.

5 comments:

Laura said...

This post made me laugh. I guess you were always artsy and abstract. :)

Robin said...

I think your "artwork analyses" would make you an excellent child psychologist, Chris! (You're pretty much right on!) ;)

Laura said...

So Chrissie, you never told me whether you guys were going to be at Grandma and Grandpa's the day after Christmas. Let me know. No worries if you aren't, I just thought it would be nice to see ya!

xoxo

Laura said...

Darn Chrissie...Andy and I won't be there probably. I think we are going there on the 26th and leaving the 27th I think. I haven't told Grandma yet though. I hope it's okay with her. Maybe I'll see if we can stay later. We are just going to SD with Andy's family. That makes me so sad. By the way, you are one of the most goal oriented people I know, but I'm super jealous that you're at home and not working right now. How is your pregnancy going?

Laura said...

I'm going to try and see if we can be there when you guys are. Are you guys coming to Jesse's homecoming talk January 9th? I'm just trying to figure out when I'm going to see everyone again. I miss my family!:(