Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Totally Random and Disorganized Post

I forgot to mention that Sevak and I had a doctor’s appointment on MLK day, and it went well. We asked the doctor a lot of questions, and he was very nice and accommodating. This put us at ease because we (at least I) have been kind of worried lately…there’s only 8 weeks left to go and I feel unprepared! Nevertheless, I’m really anxious to see Rose, and I really hope she doesn’t wait until after her due date to make her appearance. The funny thing about our doctor’s office is that we’re usually the only non-Hispanic people in there. I like it, though, because Latina ladies tend to have babies on a regular basis (judging from the families of my former ESL students), and you know their doctors have a lot of experience (our doctor, by the way, is Hungarian). Sevak and I had previously gone to a Hispanic doctor whose clientele consisted of country club folk, and I felt totally uncomfortable with him. I guess it really just depends (P.S. I only pointed out these doctors’ ethnicities because I think it’s funny that our doctor is Caucasian with Hispanic patients, and the other is Hispanic with Caucasian patients).

So anyway…yesterday I started working at the library again, which was cool because it was my first time back after an extensive renovation. It looked really nice in there. Also, I finally have a buddy at the reference desk! She was the reference librarian before I started working there, but went off on maternity leave and is now back. She’s really friendly and makes the time go by a lot faster than it used to. Also, since she recently had a baby, you can imagine what we spent the time talking about.

Random experience: the other day Sevak and I saw this homeless guy at the corner of the road. He wasn’t holding a sign asking for money; instead, he was selling little American flags and other American paraphernalia! I thought this was really neat and touching. If there was ever an example of the American dream being pursued, this was it. I definitely would have bought a flag from him, but the light was green and we had to turn. I really like it when people are proactive and make an effort to help themselves, rather than sitting around waiting for help to come their way. This particular man reminded me of the beggars in Paris who would play the accordion for money.

I was going to conclude this accumulation of random thoughts by posting before and after pics of our backyard, but I will withhold photos until we get the veggies planted (yesterday I planted flowers).

4 comments:

Julia and Aaron said...

I'm so anxious and excited to see Rose too! I can't wait for you to post pictures of the little one. We're very happy for you guys. It really is hard to wait out those last weeks, isn't it?

Also, you're planting flowers?!?! Are you kidding me!? I want to live in CA!! It is 2 degrees outside right now and has been below 0 several times when considering the wind chill factor. I think Cali is an ideal place to raise children. You never get stuck inside for months on end!

Anyway, we're excited for you. Only eight more weeks! Yay!

Laura said...

Chrissie: I really enjoyed reading this post. Especially the part about the homeless man on the side of the road selling American flags. You're due in 8 weeks! Holy Cow that's coming soon. I'm so excited for you. You may be recieving a phone call afterwards with a request to hear the nitty-gritty details.:) I hope you don't mind. Love you.

Laura said...

PS we are moving into a townhouse February 20th that has a garden. I'm so excited because the landlord said I can plant stuff in there.:)

Robin said...

Your story about the man selling the flags reminded me of the man on Avenida del Vista who was selling the ice cream from his cart. ..remember? That's a fun memory of our early days in Corona!