I started classes the other day, and it was really interesting getting back into student mode. I think it was even more interesting because I'm also now a mom. My classmates chatted about school and social events, but I just kept wondering how Rose was doing (I needn't have worried, though [special thanks to my wonderful babysitters Megan and Sevak!]). Every now and then my synapses would get firing and I would find the world of academia becoming more and more familiar, but then I would stop and think, "wait--is this really happening?" Somehow student life and motherhood have always seemed incongruous (not that motherhood isn't the most inspiring and challenging learning experience ever). Anyway, hopefully I will begin to bridge the gap between mommy and student.
One thing's for sure--I have definitely enjoyed the camaraderie and support of the "mom" community around here. A fellow MBASA (MBA Spouse's Association) member and I have arranged a "child swap" so that our kids will have someone to look after them during our classes. I also recently attended a free aerobics class that I learned about through the MBASA (a local stake puts it on, and one of the teachers happens to be an MBASA member). I really enjoyed it because I was allowed to bring Rose. Sure, there were other kids running around me as I tried to do my lunges, but that's a price I was willing to pay. I mean, I got to park Rose's stroller right in front of me so she could cheer me on.
During the class, I had a moment of self-discovery. I was wiping snot with my bare fingers and sniffing a butt to check diaper status, and suddenly it hit me--I'm a mom. I looked around at my fellow moms. They were kicking their legs and doing grapevines, swerving around the little ones. Even the teacher kept a vigilant eye on the kids--she managed to yell "four front kicks" and "Sally,* don't do that!" all in one breath. I actually got a little teary as I beheld such a scene. I wouldn't have traded that moment for any fancy, kidless fitness class. I love moms, and I love being one of them.
*Names have been changed.
1 comment:
Right on, Chrissie, right on! I loved your description of everything, and I echo your sentiments about being a mom...hey, you made me feel teary eyed reading about you getting teary eyed! :)
Post a Comment