This weekend Sevak came out to San Francisco for an internship interview, and since my parents live nearby, I thought I might as well come along for the ride. I came at an interesting time, because California is about to vote on a very important (and very controversial) issue--proposition 8. I have always been in support of this proposition, which restores the traditional definition of marriage. As a matter of fact, I just voted "yes" on my absentee ballot. However, that has been the extent of my support--until now. This morning a huge group of supporters (Sevak and myself included) stood at a freeway onramp holding "Yes on Prop 8" signs. I have to say, it was an incredible experience. Before I get into it, let me say first of all that I have no ill feelings toward homosexuals and I think that they most certainly deserve respect and their rights. However, the passage of this proposition would not
remove any of their rights; it's only about the term "marriage." If same-sex marriage became legal, it would have to be taught as a morally acceptable institution in our schools and would remove parents' rights to instruct their own children on the matter. I guess what it really boils down to is that I believe marriage between a man and a woman is a sacred institution. I think that family structure is really important to the child, and that man and woman were created differently for a reason--they each have different functions and capabilities to enrich the lives of their children. Anyway, as I was saying, standing in support of prop 8 today was a really great experience. It almost made me cry (okay, it
did make me cry) to hear all of the supportive honks and see the thumbs-up signs (incidentally, why would the opposition think that flipping us off or cursing would be productive in any way [especially when their slogan is "tolerance"]?). The positive response far, far outweighed the negative, though, and it was wonderful to unite with my fellow Americans in this cause. :)
So, today was great. Here is a picture of us supporting Yes on Prop 8:
3 comments:
That is great!! Did you see that Steve Young and his wife donated $50K to the vote NO! I was so disappointed!
http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10869890
I know! I was too...
I love that picture of your family. Very cool.
Post a Comment