Last night we made
pelmeni, little Russian dumplings that Sevak grew up eating. They were yummy! We ate them with garlic oil (garlic sauteed in canola oil) and Greek yogurt, which was thicker and tangier than the yogurt I'm used to. очень вкусный!

Prior to boiling

Finished product
5 comments:
Sounds oh so good! You are really good at including a variety of specialties in your family cuisine. I should follow your lead! Oh, and what did you type in Russian (at least I think it was Russian)?
I should have written the translation, Kathleen! It means "very delicious." :)
Yum. They look good. What's inside of them? Recipe?
I second that question: what's the magic filling? And if I want to go milk-free can I eat them with something else besides yogurt? We love trying new kinds of food! :)
Also, I just watched the video of Rose talking. She is growing up so quickly. I love the way she scoots across the floor without changing position.
Everyone: unfortunately, I didn't really follow a "recipe;" I just looked at a lot of versions and kind of improvised. My dough is made of flour, eggs, milk, oil, and salt, although I think you can probably use water instead of milk, and I think you can probably omit the eggs, too (like I said, I've seen a lot of different versions, and some of them only call for water). You mix all these ingredients until you have a pasta-like dough (I eyed it on the liquid ingredients and you add more flour as necessary); knead it until it's elastic. The filling is made from a mixture of ground beef, ground pork, salt, and pepper. You can also make vegetarian versions, I'm sure. We rolled out a thin piece of dough, put a bunch of little balls of filling on top (with enough space between them), and topped it with another thin piece of dough. Then I used a bottle lid to cut out the pelmeni, kind of making a twisting motion to seal the edges. If you look up "pelmeni recipes" online, I'm sure you'll be able to find something that you can use and/or adapt. And Bethany, just eating them with the garlic oil would be delicious! Have fun!
Post a Comment