Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Aquaphobia

A couple of weeks ago Rose and I went "swimming." My friend's in-laws have a hot tub that is kept at the temperature of a bath (maybe even slightly cooler) so the kids can go in. She [my friend] invited some of the moms from the ward to come enjoy it with our babies. We all went, and I expected Rose to really have a good time. For some odd reason, though, she was petrified. I guess I shouldn't have been too shocked because she has never been a huge fan of the bath. She always freaks out when I make her lie down so I can wash her hair. Anyway, all she seemed to want to do was play with the cat that was hanging out nearby. Eventually the cat left and I got in the tub, persuading her to come along. She gave in but was still pretty fearful. She just sat on my lap the whole time.

Well...today these same friends and I walked to Rock Canyon park. It has an irrigation ditch with a mini river of melted snow run-off. It was very hot and we all wanted to put our feet in the refreshing water, so we stopped the strollers and started unloading the kids. I said to Rose, "Do you want to get in the water?" That did it. She started bawling and wouldn't let me take her out. Poor little scaredy cat. Eventually she became comfortable enough to let me hold her while I was standing in the river, but was set off when I dipped her feet in. That actually reminds me--she did the same thing as an infant, which I wrote about in this post: click here.

So, there you have it: this little being who spent the first nine months of her life in water is now afraid of it. Oh well...she's adventurous in enough other stuff to keep me busy!

1 comment:

Dani said...

slow and steady wins the race.