Do you ever find yourself just trying to fill up the day? It's not that I don't have a lot to do; it's just that most of the things on my to-do list are incompatible with having a one-year-old. Thus, I find myself trying to fill up the day with activities to keep Rose occupied and entertained. It has been especially hard lately because (1) Sevak is out of town, (2) Rose's three little friends are unable to play due to various reasons (moved, went on vacation, etc.) and (3) it's been rainy lately. Her nap time is a wonderful time for me, but lately I've had to use it to get some work done on a paper. Today, though, I couldn't take it anymore--I spent a long time just staring at the computer screen and realized I needed a nap, too.
So anyway, these are the things I usually do with Rose to kill time:
Go on walks
Run errands
Read books
Watch T.V.
Play with friends
Play on the playground
Eat
Go to the library/museum
Take a bath (I don't literally take a bath with her)
Sometimes it just feels like this list gets so old, and many days I'm still struggling to find ways to keep Rose happy until bedtime. Luckily my schoolwork adds a little diversity to my schedule (although sometimes I would like to have a moment for pure self-indulgence). So my question is, how do you other moms vary your routine? (I must be having some difficulties with motherhood lately, seeing as this is the second child-rearing-related question I've asked in a week.)
6 comments:
Well, I am not a mother yet, but I am a neighbor with a lot of free time. I'll call you and take Rose off your hands for a couple of hours this weekend. You deserve a break!
Well, Chrissie, your list of mother/child activities looks basically like my own about 20 years ago! The one thing it's missing are trips to Stew Leonard's! hehe Those were real lifesavers for me AND you! (Nothing like dancing cows, lobster tanks, and cookie samples to round out a day.) I say make good use of Sesame Street, Blue's Clues and old Reading Rainbows (if those are available). Too bad Zany Brainy is no longer...or is it?
Follow her lead and play what she wants to play.
We have RS interest groups and mother's groups that have music time on Wednesday morning, Storytime on Thursday morning, and "Friday Activities" on Friday. They consist of some activities provided at the church, but mostly just different parks and places around town to try out. You might consider starting a similar group if you're really ambitious!
Going to the Beane Museum is always fun, we loved to feed the ducks, walking to the Creamery for a little treat... the joys of being cooped up in a little apartment. Good luck!
Chrissie, I can hardly wait for your class to be completed, just so you will have a moment or two each day to do things just for yourself. As for your list, I think it's pretty comprehensive. Another thing to do might be to make friends with/visit people with whom you seemingly might not have much in common with. Some of my most cherished friends are those who, from the outside view, are in a whole different stage of life. Another place to walk around, which I'm sure you do, is the temple grounds. We still haven't taken Symphany there!! But hopefully we'll do that before we move! Just for the record, I'll probably consult your little list in the future to remind myself of things I can do each day.
Put down a plasticized table cloth (to protect your table) and squirt a bunch of foamy shaving cream on it. Not the gel kind. Then let Rose squish, mush, and finger paint in it! I bet it'll keep her occupied for hours, and it's easy clean-up if it stays on the table cloth! Warning: she will smell like a man after.
Post a Comment