Yesterday the kids and I went to a "médiathèque." (It's like a "bibliothèque," but with additional materials--I didn't even know this term existed before I got here. We don't make a distinction in English, do we? I mean, most libraries have things other than books.) Anyway, Rose had fun looking at all the stuff, even though we didn't find an "octopus book," which she kept requesting. I found out we could get a free library card for Rose if we brought her passport. Well, today I brought it, and we easily got her an "inscription"--they didn't even ask for the passport! We got a few books and a couple of DVD's (which haven't worked satisfactorily, since we don't have a remote to the DVD player [and they don't play on our computer due to the region code]). After we checked out the materials, Rose said "thank you," but I prompted her to say "merci," and she said it before I even got to the "merci" part--it was so cute!
In other news, Sevak has already completed his first "intensive" course. He attended a class for a week and he's going to be receiving--get this--three credits! I am insanely jealous, because he hasn't even had any bona fide homework. Easiest three credits ever. I haven't even laid a finger on my thesis because I've been too busy settling in and entertaining the kids (who are growing increasingly demanding...poor little friendless Rose). Oh well...Sevak has been a great help and has promised to watch the kids during his down time (which there will be quite a lot of--I think he only has one French class left, plus a couple of "classes" [easy] that he's doing from a distance...he can correct me if I'm wrong).
Tomorrow we'll celebrate the weekend and take the tram somewhere...probably E. Leclerc for some towels. :)
P.S. I promise to take pictures
3 comments:
How nice that will be to dry yourself off with something other than clothing! Rose's "merci" at the médiathèque was so cute!
Most computer DVD players have a limited number of region changes on them. For example, you could go into the settings on your computer and change it to region 2(?) for Europe. Then when you move back to the states you can change it back to region 1. It should tell you how many changes are left. Additionally, many stand-alone DVD players have a code that allows you to change the region code. It may or may not be permanent and many times you can find the codes online. Of course the manufacturers don't want you to know this.
Ooooh, Daniel--thanks for the great tips! Luckily we were able to figure out the remote control situation, so we can watch DVDs on the TV now, but I will definitely keep those things in mind for any future problems!
Post a Comment