Experienced a power outage and inquired about it at EDF (Éléctricité de France) on my way to the supermarché--was informed it would return to normal shortly
Bit the bullet and bought a small cutting board for 7 euros--hey, I had to chop some onions!
Had to wait in line for FOREVER. No offense, French people, but you're slow.
Forgot to weigh my fruit and had to leave it at the register. Man, I thought I had nailed that one!
Figured out how to use the dishwasher, but it stopped mid-cycle due to the power outage. Not sure if I want to try it again because the door opens spontaneously.
Figured out how to use the washing machine. Will try to use it as infrequently as possible since clothes remain sudsy, necessitating a hand rinse. OH...and there's no drier (clothes are currently hanging on a rack by the window).
I think I was on a little bit of a high those first couple of days, because I'm slowly coming back to reality and realizing that some things will be a little challenging (e.g. washing clothes). I also have to go to the grocery store everyday, which requires a lot of effort (bundling the kids, carrying the kids and stroller down the stairs, trying to fit the stroller through little nooks, etc.). By the way, that double stroller continues to attract a lot of attention. The other day a lady asked if Simon and Rose were twins. People are also generally very nice and helpful about opening doors, etc.
Well, that was my day. Some awesome things and not-so-awesome things. C'est la vie!
9 comments:
Hey, I have a question about weighing fruit in the supermarket...how do the markets know if a customer is being honest in the weighing? (I would find it pretty incredible if they take the customer's word on what he/she puts down without some sort of back-up verification.) Just wonderin'.
You are so brave! You guys totally inspire me, traveling all over the place and living in foreign countries and such. We miss you tons!
At least séchoirs are very green. Really, Americans are spoiled to have electric dryers so readily available. But, oh, are they convenient!
Regarding the weighing of the fruit, Mom...yeah, I guess it's on the honor system. I would think the cashiers would be able to tell if you made any outrageous lie. And also, you don't really write the weight yourself; the machine that you use prints out a sticker. So the only way you could lie would be to weigh something really light and then put the sticker on the heavier fruit.
Interesting...maybe the French are on to something there...just one more way to make check-out faster.
I didn't read every single line of comments, but do I smell a fruit-stealing scheme?
I hope things are getting easier Chrissie beans! Can't wait to hear more!!
I used to be asked a lot if my oldest two (22 months apart) were twins in Dominica when I was pushing them in the double stroller. I just thought it was odd since they were obviously different ages. Maybe it's a double stroller thing?
I was reading your blog to Mike and he was wondering if you guys have a spinner for your clothes. Maybe you can find one on the french version of craigslist. Maybe you can find a toddler/mom group there to. We miss you guys and are jealous of all the fun traveling you guys are doing.
-Amber and Mike Brady
Oh yes, I hated having to hang dry my clothes...thanks for sharing that it reminds me how lugging laundry to a washer and dryer a few yards away really isn't that big of a deal. I love reading your adventures!
Post a Comment