Photographic Evidence
However, we were totally unaware that we were eating these delicacies on the "jour des crêpes," as La Chandeleur is sometimes called. A day or two later, I saw references to it in stolen food advertisements (I swipe the food ads that our neighbors leave on top of the mailboxes--they're fun to read!). Apparently it commemorates the purification of the Virgin Mary and the presentation of the baby Jesus, but I'm pretty sure people just use it as an excuse to eat lots of crêpes. Since we only celebrated La Chandeleur with a couple of measly crêpes, I made some tonight so we could really pig out appropriately.
That bump in the pile is a crumpled crêpe, caused by my lack of spatula
This is what Simon looked like as he watched us eat crêpes:
"I want some!"
(Note how he's wearing shoes--such a big boy)
(Note how he's wearing shoes--such a big boy)
7 comments:
Now I know who's making some crepes for us at the next family party! Wow, do those ever look good. Would you believe I was once on a crepe-making kick when you were a baby? I had a recipe for chicken-filled crepes that had chopped green onions and sliced almonds among other good things. You've given me a great idea for a meal this week, Chris! Vive la France!
guess what?! there's a 1st yr dental student named polin who's armenian (but from iran), and she just had her first missionary discussion. she told the missionaries she'd be baptized on the 20th. i was so proud to be able to say i have armenian friends! (well, the nelsons plus my armenian friends whom i've never really met - sevak, rose, and simon). wish i knew some armenian to make her feel at home, but she's ok without it, i guess. if you have any tips for me, let me know!
Lisa- you can tell her "Yes Gitem vor Mormoni Girke chisht e" (I know that the Book of Mormon is true) - Sevak
Mmmmm, those crepes look delish!
I LOVE CREPES.
That's so cool you happened to eat crêpes that day! I had never heard of La Chandleur, I'm ashamed to admit. Sounds like the meaning as well as the celebration of it is much better than Groundhog Day! Simon looks so grown up in those adorable big boy shoes!
Chrissie,
Those crepes look yummy!
Punxsutawney Phil is the worst! We just had our SECOND BLIZZARD of the week! The snow is up to my waist! It is so horrible here! Phil is on my bad groundhog list for sure. I am definitely thinking about moving to California with the Nelson's...but France with the Tsaturyan's is fine too!
Post a Comment