Anyway, even though we're extremely excited to return home, I will miss France. We're not bitter at all about our experience and are very glad we've had it. Thank heavens for the church--all of the friends I've made have been through church. Even Rose, who is dying to get home to Jane, has enjoyed her time at church and couldn't wait to go to "nursy" (nursery) every Sunday. Our branch was so cool and diverse! There were Peruvians, a Danish girl, an English lady, people from Suriname/French Guyana, etc. And, of course, we added some Americans to the mix (besides the missionaries). Today we met an elderly investigator named Jean-Pierre who spoke to us in English with a charming French accent. Then he started speaking broken Spanish to the Peruvian members of the branch. THEN, later I walked out into the foyer and he was speaking with Sevak in Russian! He was also quite well-versed in Armenian history and sympathized with Sevak about the Armenian Genocide. Anyway, I'm rambling on, but this is just an example of the interesting sorts of people we've met.
Yesterday Sevak went to a stake priesthood meeting in Lyon and that was certainly an experience. He rode over two hours (each way) with two elderly men from the branch. The car was old and the heating system was shot. Sevak doesn't speak much French. You do the math. He was optimistic, though, and it was so funny to hear about his experience upon his return. While he was gone, I invited my friend Laurence over for a little snack. She's one of the members from French Guyana. She's a high school student and has been so nice and helpful to us. Simon really likes her--here's a pic:
So anyway, the branch was great. I liked it so much that I even agreed to give a talk next Sunday. Hmmm...what was I thinking, anyway? A talk? In French? I guess we'll go out with a bang. To be continued!
6 comments:
I've enjoyed reading about your experiences over there. Can't wait to hear about your talk!
Chrissie,
What a great post this was. Your description of your branch reminded me a lot of the Trenton Branch...the international flavor of it and the humility/kindness of the people. Wow, that Jean-Pierre sounds like one great man...you just want to reach out and give him a hug for all his efforts! What's the subject of your talk? I think that's tres magnifique that you'll be speaking!
Good luck with that talk! You'll do great and don't worry if you make some mistakes. No one will mind.
It is hard to get around/do things without money and winter is just tough. We stay inside a lot here and only have a few options for getting out. I too remember feeling lonely in France. It's hard to go to a new place with a different culture, but what an experience!
I'm excited to hear about the Jane and Rose reunion. So glad she gets to be with her friend again. Rose sounds like such the social butterfly!
Have a good flight HOME!
Woo hooo!!! I'm so excited you guys are coming back...we've disbanded exercise group because no one comes since you've been gone but we can all go on walks or something! It's been pretty warm, pushing 50. Anyways...your branch sounds like the ward/branch (can't remember which it was) in Paris. We're excited to see you guys! When are you coming?
Oh and PS, that's hilarious that she's so obsessed with Jane...I'm sure Jane is the same way.
and PPS...I had the hardest time in France. It is a lonely place I think.
Post a Comment