Friday, April 16, 2010

Just Some Updates on the Kids

Lately Rose has found a new hobby: art. She is interested in a diverse array of media, from stamps and stickers to pens, crayons, and chalk. The types of projects she undertakes are also quite diverse. Anything from walls to skin can serve as her canvas. The other day we found that she had decorated Simon's cheek with a pink bunny stamp. She even draws in the bathtub with special bath crayons.

Rose has also been pretty consistent with going to the potty every morning. It's kind of our little tradition. She wakes up, wakes us up, asks for the "ribbit potty," goes, and gets some stickers. We basically have her in diapers the rest of the day because we're usually out and about and I don't want to have to deal with on-the-go training yet.

The other day Rose was doing a gymnastics routine on the couch, and I heard her yell, "yucky papillon!" Papillon means butterfly in French, so I was intrigued by what she had seen. It turns out it was a dead dragonfly-looking insect that was caught in the runner of the window.

Rose is a hard-core animal lover. Her current passion is horses. The other day I realized that she hasn't played with her baby dolls in an extremely long time--even though she has quite a collection. Nevertheless, she's usually pushing around a stroller--usually filled with horse toys. This morning I caught her with a horse up her shirt--I realized that she was mimicking me breastfeeding Simon. Oh how she loves her horsies.

So now on to Simon...he is an angel of a baby until I put him down. He's not that needy, but it seems like he demands to be held more often than Rose did. The good thing is that as long as I'm holding him or somehow entertaining him he is the smiliest little thing. My mom has commented that he's a "polite" baby, because he'll acknowledge people with polite smiles. Whenever I take a photo, he's usually smiling, unlike his big sister.

Simon is also an eating machine. He'll eat anything you put in front of him. I'm talkin' peas, green beans, broccoli--he has never refused anything.

He's still pushing himself onto all fours, but hasn't moved on to crawling yet. He gets around by rolling.

Here are some pictures:


Simon was excited he got to stay up with Mommy and Daddy tonight--he had a rather long nap in the car and wouldn't go down at his regular time.

Mouse Simon

Doggy Rose

Daddy joined in.

Simon is just the right size for one of Rose's favorite "neigh horses."


Rose working on one of her projects.

Umm...don't mind her butt cheek. This was taken right after a session on the "ribbit potty."

9 comments:

Anne said...

That linoleum is so familiar! We lived at Wymount for two years! ;o)

The kids look great! They are such adorable little ones!

Continued luck with potty training and sleep issues!

Megan said...

Precious!! I can't wait to see "my" babies.

Kathleen said...

It's always a treat to read the latest with your beautiful babies (okay, Rose really isn't a baby at all anymore, but I still think of her as your baby since she is your firstborn). Her interest is art is fairly widespread! Are you able to clean her unconventional canvases? That's cute that she even decorated her baby brother! And I love that her horsies get to stroll around, so to speak. How cute that Simon loves his vegetables and many other foods and is not picky at all! So cool! He really is a smiley baby and oh, so cute!

Julia and Aaron said...

I love those masks. How fun! That's so neat that Rose is loving art. Lilly is really into that too. They say it is really good for learning to write later on. I'm sorry the walls and Simon have to be cleaned up after though:).

That's so neat that Rose is doing so well on the potty. I say take it slow, at the child's pace. It doesn't hurt to be in diapers longer. Rose is still really little too. I'm very impressed with her.

Also, potty-training on the go isn't too bad actually. Unless they go in their car seat or stroller. Just put a couple of plastic grocery bags with a pair of pants and undies in the diaper bag. Let them have their accident. Say "oops, next time tell me and we'll go to the potty." Find a semi-discreet place, pull out a bag and put the new stuff on. Put the yucky stuff in the bag and back in the diaper bag and you're ready to go. You just have to do laundry a little more often and make sure the kid gets a bath once a day.

Now that I wrote it out it seems like a lot. Lol. But it doesn't feel like it anymore. I really think kids have to have accidents to learn they don't want to have accidents. I can't wait to have another subject to practice my theory on:). Lilly was really easy and potty-trained at two. With Eldon I tried to prevent the accidents and it was long and drawn out. We'll see:). Good luck!!

Julia and Aaron said...

p.s. A lot of my friends have also purchased the plastic diaper covers that people use with cloth diapers and have put those over the child's underwear so that it localizes the accident but the child still feels like they had one. Just a thought:).

Julia and Aaron said...

p.s.s. Sorry this may be too much but I also thought of something else. If they have an accident on the carpet there are plenty of "pet-accident remover" products in the pet aisle. Haha! They work pretty decently!

These things helped me not stress out about accidents.

Swati said...

These are great updates! I had animal masks like that too!!! One of em was a tiger!

I'm glad Rose is taking an interest in drawing and art. What a great hobby!

Robin N said...

Oh my gosh...GREAT pics! I'm especially loving those animal masks. Looks like the kids don't mind putting those on now. Sevak looks especially sporty with his! ;)

Robin N said...

Forgot to say that "yucky papillon" made my day!! May I just say that Rose is a brilliant linguist--taking the best of both languages and putting them together!