Thursday, August 19, 2010
Sidewalk Rage
New Yorkers aren't rude. In fact, I've met some exceptionally nice ones within the last couple of days. It's just that when you're amongst such a massive population, you're more likely to run into some idiots. Take for example a guy this morning. The kids and I were on our way home from the bookstore and Simon was falling asleep on my back. I wanted to get home ASAP so he could get a bona fide nap (which, by the way, did not happen). Anyway, there was this smoker walking in front of us so I tried to quicken the pace and pass him. However, whenever I tried to do that, it appeared that he also sped up. This kept up for a few blocks. Finally I was about neck-and-neck with him and he let out an audible sigh, indicating that he was annoyed that I was trying to pass him or something. I almost--almost--asked him if it was a problem that I was trying to pass his vile cigarette smoke and get my baby home for a nap. I held my tongue, because who knows what he would have said or done in response. I decided to slow down, even though I could still smell his sick smoke. Finally he turned into his building and I muttered, "good riddance, idiot" under my breath. I almost wish he would have heard me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Niiiice. It's a good think it was you and not me cause I have issues with holding my tongue.
Yeah, I'm glad you resisted spouting off to him because ANYONE ANYWHERE is so unpredictable these days! Too bad Simon didn't have a real stinky diaper; whenever you got close to the "smoking idiot", it would've been sweet justice to give him a nice whiff. Then again, his nicotine-altered olfactory sense probably wouldn't have recognized anything. hehe
Yeah, there are some really weird mean strangers out there. I've ran into a few since leaving Provo.
It's hard to remember that there are a lot of really nice people too and so easy to remember the negative. I do but try to remind myself.
What a weird guy. I hate inhaling others' smoke. I totally think it should be illegal to smoke in public. I don't like it that someone else decides when my children and I get our nicotine dose for the day.
Post a Comment