Almost two weeks ago my dad came into town for a business trip, so we had fun hanging out with him for a couple of days. He was in meetings during most of the daytime, but we enjoyed dining at Hill Country Barbecue and Limon at night.
One day I also took the subway with my dad--he went to one of his appointments and the kids and I shopped at FAO Schwartz (window shopped, that is--a little pricey for our taste). Oh, and one night he stayed at home while the kids slept so Sevak and I could shop at H&M. Sweet! Last Saturday he drove us up to Connecticut. Rose was highly anticipative of driving in a real car (something she hasn't done for a while), but once we hit traffic she kind of lost her enthusiasm. There was a light at the end of the tunnel, however--the Maritime Aquarium in South Norwalk. It was really quite an awesome place--not too crowded, with play areas and super fun exhibits for the kids. We also looked around a bit at my very first home (I was born in Connecticut) and some of my parents' old haunts. After the aquarium, we ate right on the patio at Sono Seaport Seafood. The kids loved looking at the boats. So anyway, those were some great times we had with my dad.

This guy kept swimming by Rose and looking right at her. I think he must have gotten some good vibes from our little animal lover.Wednesday of last week we picked up my friend Amy and her daughter Jane from Penn Station. Rose was overjoyed to reunite with her best friend (and I with mine)! We came home and relaxed for a little, then headed to the Children's Museum of Manhattan. Man oh man there was a lot to do there. It was a bit crowded--so a little overwhelming--but it was lots of fun. The kids liked the splash zone outside. Simon sat himself in a bucket of water so he rode the subway home naked (luckily he maintained decency by riding in my modest back carrier). We went home and walked to the library in the afternoon. Then we got Chinese food for dinner.
Thursday we went to Chelsea Waterside Park and the carousel. We got pizza on the way home and relaxed a bit. Then we hit up Magnolia Bakery in Grand Central Station. Their banana pudding was soooooooooooo good. So good. Rose got a cupcake (which she got to enjoy later, since she was sleeping in her stroller at the time of purchase). I didn't try it so I don't know how it compares to Crumbs Bake Shop. It was smaller and a bit less over-the-top with its frosting/toppings, but I bet it was delicious. After the sugar rush we hit up FAO Schwartz. I'd have to say the most smile-inducing experience from that trip was watching Simon crawl around on the big piano (SO sad I do not have a photo/video). He was laughing, rolling around, and making everyone snicker. Actually, he was making people snicker right and left in that store. He did NOT want me to hold him, so he crawled in and out of aisles, attracting smiles wherever he went. He even bolted out of an elevator before we were even able to wheel our strollers out. I mean, imagine being in front of an opening elevator and seeing a random baby speed out. How could you not laugh?
Friday we tried getting into the MOMA for free with Sevak's employee card, but that didn't work, so we went to their gift shop and actually had quite an enjoyable experience looking at their cool and unique merchandise. We also went to the American Girl Place and then ate at a Cuban restaurant with Sevak. I may or may not have had a meltdown on the street from all the crowds and subway struggles we endured that day, but nothing that a little Crumbs visit with Amy couldn't fix that night. :) Oh, we also took the Staten Island Ferry that afternoon--how can I forget? I seriously do not know how we fit in everything we did. Following are basically the only photos I have of Amy and Jane, so I'm going to relish them.
Best Friends
Lookin' handsome, hun!
Now this just melts my heart. I hope that we won't have to wait too long until the next time we reunite. :(Saturday morning we all (Sevak included) rode on a bus to Jersey. The Realls came to swim at our hotel and we all went to Rita's Water Ice, which I had enjoyed as a child growing up in Pennsylvania. Their gelati were still as good as ever.
Sunday we went to church and walked through historic Philadelphia.
We sure got a good dose of church in that day--here we are at Christ Church.
And Simon in the carrier.After Philly we ate at the Realls' house. They are such wonderful friends. We're going to miss them!
Speaking of friends, today we drove into Langhorne and visited our dear, dear friends the Leipzigers! Mrs. L. put on a fabulous brunch, featuring the delicious and traditional casserole our two families would share on Christmas morning. Rose stole a few turns on the neighbors' slide, which, incidentally, used to be mine 15+ years ago. Being there in my old neighborhood with my old friends was extremely special. I am so proud to have grown up in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania. Sevak and I keep remarking that there is something so great about this area. The people, the beautiful greenery, the history--it's just really something. And the flood of childhood memories I had while driving through good ol' Langhorne only served to increase my warm fuzzies, obviously.
Rose with Emily
Love these folksWe took the bus back to Manhattan today and the kids were really excited to be "home." Rose was thrilled to sleep in her own bed. Although it's not quite as grandiose as the king she slept on at the hotel, it's "hers."
So, that's what a jam-packed, super-fun couple of weeks looks like. I'm going to decompress a bit, and then I'm going to manage the contacts in my Blackberry. I don't think it can get much better than that.
So, that's what a jam-packed, super-fun couple of weeks looks like. I'm going to decompress a bit, and then I'm going to manage the contacts in my Blackberry. I don't think it can get much better than that.


1 comment:
What a way to cap off the summer, Chrissie! Sights, activities, and PEOPLE don't get any better than that. All I can say is I'm starting now to plan MY trip to the East Coast next year...can't wait!! ;-)
Post a Comment