Thursday, November 11, 2010

Manners

I have to say, Rose is pretty well-behaved and considerate.  Even though Simon is currently whining and trying to climb up my chair (he's been doing this for 30 minutes and it's 5:30 a.m.), she's just sleeping away in her room.  She'll probably let me "relax" until at least 5:45.  My kids did not fare well with Daylight Saving's Time.  However, I don't even think I can blame it on that...they were steadily increasing their wake-up time during the few weeks prior to the switch.  I just wish Rose would give me a nap.  When Simon's napping she usually wants my undivided attention.

Anyway, this post was supposed to be about what a joy my kids are...

When we were at my parents' house a little while ago, Rose caught sight of Aunt Paige eating a candy.  She kept smiling at her and making little baby sounds, which she is wont to do when she's kind of embarrassed or hesitant to say something.  I think Paige said something like, "what is it, Rose?"  Rose's response: "I love you."  She sure knows how to butter them up!

A couple days ago we ate at a Vietnamese restaurant and the elderly waiter seemed to be quite enamored with the kids.  He gave them each a pack of Reese's Pieces.  Rose thanked him then said to me: "After I eat my dinner I can eat this candy."  Teach them correct principles and they'll govern themselves. :)

Today she found a solitary Reese's Piece and she kept putting it to her lips, aware that I hadn't given her permission to consume it.  I eventually told her she could eat it.  She said, "Oh, thank you!" then didn't waste any more time and quickly put it in her mouth.

She is also pretty darn good at sharing.  She'll definitely try to take things away from Simon, but once he cries she usually decides it's not that important and gives it back.

A few days ago we made some new friends at the gym.  You know how gyms have the reputation of being places where scantily-clad buff people hit on each other?  Well that happened to me yesterday.  Except I was wearing an oversize T-shirt.  And I was not so buff.  And the person "hitting" on me was another mom asking if I wanted to have a play date.  So anyway, Rose has this new little girlfriend, and we met up with her at the park.  On the way, Rose told me, "I like making friends" and at the end of the visit she told me she wanted to give Eliana (her new friend) a kiss.  So that's what she did.

She is very loving.  Just yesterday I stepped on a frame and broke its glass, so I was pretty upset.  Rose told me, "I'm sorry, Mommy" (as she is also often wont to do when I'm in a bad mood).  Sometimes after she's cooled down from throwing her tantrums she'll even tell me, "I'm sorry I yelled at you!"  That of course prompts me to apologize too.  I have a lot to learn from her.  FINALLY, sometimes she even apologizes for her brother.  One time Simon scratched my ear pretty badly and I told him that he needed to say sorry to me.  He of course just sat there and stared, so Rose went behind him, moved his head with her hands and said, "sorry."  My sweet little puppeteer. 

So anyway, I have good kids.  Even Simon took a break from climbing on my lap and is currently occupying himself with the items in my purse.

Here are some seemingly unrelated photos of the kids' room, but they tie in with this post because they feature the broken frame that I mentioned (I found another piece of glass to go in it):

I drew some animals based on the ones found on Rose's duvet (thought they would be pretty gender-neutral)

A couple of other shots:



And here's a picture of the kids playing together.  Simon climbed on Rose and she said, "Oh, he's loving me!  What a sweet little baby you are.  I love you.":

No comments: