Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fun and Not-So-Fun Activities

A week or so ago the Beehives (12-13 year-old girls from church) came to my house to paint nails. Rose participated and was quite thrilled.  She found a little flower that she had picked from outside and kept holding it as a sort of prop so she could highlight the beauty of her nails.  Here she is jumping up and down in excitement:


And here she is with her little flower prop, "posing" her nails:

Simon was happy too

The other day we came up with a fun activity to do while Simon was napping. I had just gotten a free copy of Seventeen magazine in the mail (one of my little freebie things; I don't remember how I got it). Since I'm not too interested in learning how to kiss a guy or dress cute for school, I cut out body parts and Rose and I taped them onto paper to make silly faces.



Rose also wanted me to cut out these cute earrings for her:


Yesterday she wanted to do the same activity again.  But since I had already thrown out the magazine, we drew our own facial parts:


Rose decided to put some on this leaf she picked:


Yesterday I also bashed my nose while running to answer the phone. I slipped on my floor and landed nose-first into the protruding corner of a wall. The wound is healing okay, but today I'm more bruised and puffy. The person calling? A robot from the Contra Costa County library, notifying me that some books I had on hold were available. At least it wasn't a real person--I might have held some unnecessary resentment toward them.

5 comments:

Dani said...

Lovely!

Julia and Aaron said...

You are such a great mom, Chrissie! What a cute idea to make faces from magazines. I usually let the kids play by themselves anymore. Haha. Sometimes I feel kind of burnt out on the whole entertaining children thing:), which, basically is my job.

I love how social Rose is and how excited she was to have the girls over and I'm so sorry about your nose! Ouch!:(

Robin N said...

Super creative mommy you are, Chrissie!! I would've NEVER in my wildest imagination thought of doing something like that. I was completely floored by Rose's face on the leaf. That busted me up laughing!!

RE the "Beehive Fingernail Painting", did I ever have a flood of memories from the past! I remember when Paige was probably Rose's age, and I did a similar activity at our house. All you girls used to love hanging with the big "Mutual girls" through the years! ;-)

Is your nose OK now? That must've hurt like crazy! So glad your fall didn't bring on worse injuries....still the same....OUCH!!!!

Love ya, Mom

Megan said...

Cute idea!! My favorite part is how Rose picked out a "prop" with which to showcase her nails. BAHAHAHAHA

Kathleen said...

Rose models those magazine earrings very well! It was fun to see all of her and your creations. I, too, got a kick out of her leaf face!

You know, I might hold a bit of resentment towards the library. Who knew automated machines could wreak such havoc? Hope the swelling has gone down considerably and that there are no lasting effects or scars from the incident.