Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Utah

Last week Sevak had a business trip in NYC, so the kids and I took a trip of our own to stay with his American fam in Utah. Rose and I were sick for a lot of the time and Simon was getting his bottom molars in, but we still had lots of fun!

One of our first stops was the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum; a free museum we could literally walk to it when we lived in Wymount, so it was obviously a hot spot for us.  This brought back lots of good memories.



Rose kept oohing and aahing over the piles of snow.  I think she was too little to remember the other times she's played in the snow.  She was so thrilled that she walked on an icy patch near the Bean museum and took a nasty spill.  Little did she know that her snow encounters would move from this...


...to this:


I was glad the kids got to have one real "snow day," but even more glad that it was the only day it snowed while we were in Utah. :)

Something else we did was visit our old friends from Wymount!  Here's a pic of Rose with Hanee and David, who both just became a big sister and brother recently (they're from two separate families, though):


And here's Simon looking at Danny, David's new brother.  When we left, Simon was still a baby himself.


One evening we went to BYU's Museum of Art to see the Carl Bloch exhibit.  Rose slept through most of it.  Here she is with Hannah:


And here Simon and I are with Jill in the lobby:


Simon was extremely content in Uncle Xander's arms until he noticed I was trying to take his picture.


The kids got to bake with Grandma J:


Some other things I got to do while in Utah:
Read The Hunger Games and start on Catching Fire
Visit my mom's cousins Jackie and Dave
Finally see Eclipse
Get a massage with Jill (gotta love the cheap rates at Provo College of Massage Therapy)

Sigh...it was really fun.  The kids did fairly well on the flight home.



I just had to laugh as we piled into our seats...the man in the row behind us sighed and moved to a row further behind.  I don't think he knew he was being so obvious about his desires to NOT sit behind two toddlers.  I could hardly blame him, though.  Luckily no one sat in our row, so Simon got a seat to himself.  And the ladies that filled the grumpy man's original row were very nice and gave me a "job well done" pat at the end of the flight.  We were all really glad to meet up with Sevak at the Oakland Airport.

So anyway, it was a great week.  It made me very nostalgic, too.  Our little family built some very good memories during our time at BYU, and it was so special to revisit those memorable places.  It was special to be with family, too!

1 comment:

Julia and Aaron said...

What a fun trip! I'm very impressed that you did it sick with a sick child and a teething one at that. I remember going to the Bean Museum when we were there! Gosh Eldon was about 1 year-old when we left. He was so little, but toddled all around it.

I love the picture of Rose on the trampoline! I do love California and wouldn't mind living there one day, but it's nice to get in a week or so of snow play. After that it's just old hat:).

Sorry about the grumpy old man on the plane. I don't understand people like that, but there seem to be a lot of them on planes!