Saturday, February 5, 2011

Remembrances

Sometimes I wonder how much of "today" Rose will remember years from now.  This prompted me to think back to my own childhood to try to recall as much as I possibly could.  Here are just a few things I came up with: 

Kindergarten: For show and tell, I was debating on whether to bring a bendable pink bracelet or some "treasure" (i.e. pieces of unidentifiable materials from around the house that I stored in a toy baby bottle.  There may have been a sequin or two in the mix, but I'm pretty sure most of it consisted of carpet particles or wads of paper.).  I seem to remember my mom suggesting that I bring the bracelet, knowing that my classmates might not share the same enthusiasm for wads of paper.  I decided to bring the treasure, but I instantly regretted it when my teacher started passing it around the circle.  As my classmates peered into the bottle, I could tell that no one really got that it was "treasure."  And then I started questioning why I had ever thought it was so special.

Kindergarten: Certain days of the week our class would go to certain "electives."  I remember becoming extremely anxious on "computer day," because I was dreadfully afraid of Mrs. Fite.  She was missing a couple of fingers on one of her hands and I would get scared when she would type something on my keyboard.

Kindergarten: Some kid--I think his name was Peter--was eating chips out of the trashcan.  They were technically still good because they were still in their bag and no trash was on top of them...but still.  They were in the trashcan.  I also remember him eating paste.

1st grade: I told this boy, Cole, that I wouldn't sit next to him at lunch.  It was because I saw a booger in his nose, although I did not tell him this was the reason.

1st grade: Cole had a fit of rage and knocked a bunch of papers off some desks while we were working on a project.  I remember being flabbergasted and a bit scared by his outrageous behavior, but I think that if I were to look at it now, I'd label it as typical first-grader behavior.  BTW, this incident was not linked to my refusal to sit with him at lunch (I think).

3 comments:

Robin N said...

Hehehe...great memories! Was it 3rd grade when you and Cole were in a play and he played Abe Lincoln to your Mrs. Lincoln? I remember your big fear with the computer class and Mrs. Fite...had forgotten about that!! Didn't she used to do some playful little thing like air-boxing to emphasize to kids what her name was? I'm glad that that experience didn't make you techno-phobic. Thankfully, you know your way around a computer very nicely, Chrissie!

Chrissie said...

Actually, I think you made up that boxing motion when YOU would talk about Mrs. Fite. Haha. At least, you're the only one I remember making that motion.

Megan said...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I was scared of Mrs. Fite, too. But I do not recall any air fist motion. The other day I was reminiscing about how I used to be afraid of blue-and-gold day (i.e., big sports competition day). I think you were too? Ooooh, but the Spring Fair was good times, because I got to get my face painted and hair "dyed" (i.e., color-hair-sprayed) with wild "punk" colors. hehehehehe