Friday, July 1, 2011

Looking for the Good

Lately there have been a few little challenges that have made it difficult for me to remain chipper. For example, yesterday morning I taught my very first zumba class at Bally Total Fitness...to myself. Yeah, no one came.  Kind of a buzz kill. I also missed a skype session with my dear friend.  AND I missed Rose's swimming lesson--a big bummer since I prepaid for classes and we had a minimal amount of sessions. Later, we took an afternoon trip to the library and got politely kicked out after having only been there for five minutes or so. It was Simon's fault--the big cranky pants.  Oh, and this happened recently:


Wondering what the cause was?  Well, Rose, obviously, but also this:


So, before you start feeling sorry for me...don't.  I don't want to feel sorry for myself.  I do that far too often, and it turns me into a grumpier person than I'd like to be.  I started thinking about the positive, and I realized that even though we missed swimming lessons, we did have a lot of fun yesterday attending the grand opening of Sprouts Farmers' Market in Dublin. Man, I love that place. We also got Rose a little treat from Target for doing a good job with a certain aspect of potty training.

That brings me to another subject, which also illustrates how a difficult situation can immediately be turned into a great situation if you use the right tools and have the right attitude.

Now, Rose has been an excellent potty user for quite a while now...since before her third birthday, for sure.  Whenever she needs to go, she takes care of business on her own...as long as that business is #1.  For some reason she has a fear of using the potty for #2.  She is great at communicating the need to go, but she makes me put a diaper on her.  I don't know how many times we've argued about this.  I've refused to diaper her, bribed her, etc.  I told her I'd even allow her to wear a diaper--as long as she would "go" in the bathroom (she likes being private in her room).  Nothing works--I end up relenting because I want her to be healthy instead of "hold it."  Anyway, I asked my friend for advice, because she's pretty much a super mom (check out her blog, Toddler Approved).  She suggested making a chart and rewarding Rose with a prize after she completes it.  I wasn't sure it would work, since I had already offered Rose prizes--even if she would go on the potty only once.  So, in the middle of one of our potty-related arguments, I told Rose about the chart idea and she instantly settled down.  That very day she sat in the bathroom to do her business (with a diaper...we're moving in stages).  She did that five times and got a small prize!  Our next chart is dedicated to "going" in the bathroom...without a diaper.  Here's hoping for an equally successful run!

And now here's a little magic that worked on Simon recently.  The other night he was having the roughest time going to bed.  I finally rocked him to sleep, but he woke up in an angry mood when I put him in his crib.  I had to bring him into my room so Rose could get some sleep, but for 15 minutes my attempts at soothing him were futile.  I finally whispered, "I'm going to tell you a story about a tiny blue doggy."  He immediately stopped crying.  Ummm, are you serious?  So anyway, I made up this elaborate and totally disjointed storyline (probably another fifteen minutes' worth), and it totally put him to sleep!  Who would have thought that an almost-two year old would sit still for a story without pictures?  The humor of it all wiped away the anxiety I felt over that rough bedtime.

So, good stuff.  We're happy, healthy, and doing just fine.  And I'm super excited about summer and its bounty.  I made bread for the first time the other day.  I don't think the picture does justice to its yumminess, though:


I also made some of my Great Uncle Moe's ashkela (Turkish/Armenian pickled veggies), which totally reminds me of summer and brings back good family memories.


I am also excited to taste some veggies from our own humble patio garden.  Rose is excited, too.  She is quite the agriphile.  The other day she asked me to "read" her an heirloom seed catalog!  I have to admit, it is fun to look at...some of these rare vegetable varieties are amazing!  Ah, summertime.  And the livin' is easy.

5 comments:

Dani said...

Ah, I would be stressed about all that, too. But way to find some good. Hope your garden turns out better than mine!

Kristina said...

Yes, I agree with your friend. Way to find the positive!

I would totally come to your Zumba class at Ballys. I will have to look into it. You are amazing. I don't know how your body moves like that... and adding to the positive, you had like 25 people rocking out to zumba last week at church and they love you. :) I'm sure you'll get a big following soon at Ballys too.

So glad the reward chart is working with Rose so far. Yay! Baby steps is exactly the right way to go.

Hope today was much better!

Robin N said...

Wow...Rose has real strength in those cute little arms to make a wall indentation like that! (nothing that a little putty can't fix!) At first I thought that was a picture of a smoking pipe or a snake! ;)

Megan said...

Schwester, can you please send me your bread recipe? Thanks! I love you!!

Laura said...

Those veggies look delish!