Friday, March 2, 2012

Rose's Prayer and a Few Other Things

We just said bedtime prayers and Rose's went something like this:

"Thank you for this day, and bless that Simon doesn't cry, and I hope I can go to the zoo soon. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

Yeah, the zoo thing is pretty hilarious, but the Simon thing cracks me up, too. Just like her mom, Rose takes her sleep very seriously, and if there's any possibility that Simon might mess it up for her, she gets nervous. Tonight we hit a slight rough patch where Simon refused to go to bed because he wanted something to eat (a stalling mechanism), but I eventually managed to convince him to get in his crib. That little hiccup worried Rose, I think, so I'm glad she saw fit to pray about it. :)

While we're talking about funny kid stuff...

* Rose said her leg was "paining" her. I'm pretty impressed she chose to use this word in its verb form, since it's sort of archaic.
* And another evidence of "formal" speak: this trend seems to be dying off, but for a while Simon loved to use the word "must" instead of "have to" or "need to" (e.g. "I must get my doggy"). I really don't know where they pick this stuff up.
* Simon will also reiterate something by using the tag "I said" at the end of a sentence. For example, if he says, "I want to read" but I'm not paying attention, he'll repeat even louder, "I want to read, I said!"

2 comments:

Swati said...

Oh man. The "Leave your comment" page now looks totally different and much more streamlined.

I often wonder where kids pick up the things they say. It's not just from parents and teachers. Rose and Simon should be on Kids Say The Darndest Things. Need to resurrect that show!

Megan said...

I know where they pick up their formal speaking--from their formally speaking mother, grandmother, and great-grand-mother!!! (And aunts). HAHA!