Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Good Times

When the kids are running around like wild animals, treating me with disrespect, fighting over silly things, or watching way too much TV, I need to remember that we also have our quiet, edifying moments. Otherwise I start to feel like the worst mom.

Today, for example, the kids and I attempted to make some melted crayon pointillism art. It's an idea from this link that was part of a list my friend had posted on her blog's Facebook page.



The kids really enjoyed using crayons in a new way, and I loved hearing their commentary as they worked on their projects. This is good because I was definitely in a grumpy mood earlier. I think it has something to do with general fatigue and newfound pain in my pelvic region. That may be TMI, but recently this baby has descended and is putting quite a bit of strain on my too-soft pelvic ligament. I think I am officially waddling.

But anyway, back to the kids! A little while ago we also made some oobleck in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday (have you read Bartholomew and the Oobleck, one of those rare non-rhyming Seuss books?).

We ended up pouring it all over the table and drawing designs in it, but the mess was worth it 

And if those art projects don't strike you as being particularly "genteel," the next activity surely will. Yesterday Rose's little girlfriends came over for playgroup, and I was astonished to see them sit for a good 20 minutes while Rose "read" to them. It was like a scene out of Pride and Prejudice, preschool edition.

2 comments:

Swati said...

Definitely wish I was there for the good times. I know I say this a lot, but I really do mean it so I'll say this again. I think you're such a fun mom. I don't know where you come up with these fun art projects, but just the fact that you set them up for the kids so regularly is so amazing to me. I really like this melted crayon one because I used to melt all my crayons when I was little on this little red lamp we had. Anyway, hope the pain eases. Thanks for sharing the fun.

:)

Swati said...

I said "fun" and "like" a gazillion times in that post. How original and well-crafted. That means it's time to sleep!