Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easter Hodgepodge

Easter weekend was a good one. Sevak had signed up for a Greek Independence Day 10K in Oakland and about 30 minutes before he left, I decided to join him. :) His mom was here so she watched the kids and it worked out great. Here are a few pics that the race photographer took: 

 I'm in teal; Sevak is in yellow. I thought that bugger was going to do 8-minute miles but he left me in the dust like 2 minutes into the race! ;)

 These shoes were made for runnin'

 Spanakopita...nice post-race fuel

I won first overall female! Full disclosure: only 14 females were running the 10K. :-) My time was 47:39 so that's 7:40 min/mile.

Sevak won first in his age group!

So that was a really fun "date." Later that afternoon we went back to Oakland with the kids to go to Fairyland. Picture an amusement park from the 50's. Now picture it in 2013, unchanged. Haha...it has nothin' on Disneyland, obviously, but it's cute for our young kids and we all had an enjoyable time.

We didn't have a lot of hoopla Easter Morning, but it was nice. We had a candy-free holiday, and that was very nice. The kids didn't even seem to mind. The Easter bunny put mini tape dispensers, balloons, and stickers in the eggs, and other trinkets in the kids' baskets. 

 Jellybeans (or Easter bunny poop, according to Sevak) led to the baskets.

Checking out some of the goods...one of which was a "bug catcher," which we used that very night to catch a frog! Can you imagine that? We went out to nab a roly poly or something and came back with a full-fledged amphibian!

 
Jasmine really wanted to hold the frog and would cry whenever we tried to take it away. Simon was getting frustrated, because it was his bug catcher, after all.


Everyone was in awe, including me! I felt like a childhood rite of passage had been accomplished. The next day we took the frog to preschool. The kids were just finishing up learning about bugs, so we got to leave "Hoppy" in the big aquarium full of mud and bugs and hiding places...it worked out absolutely perfectly (especially since I did not want to have to care for a frog in our home)!

4 comments:

Megan said...

You are such a rockstar, Chrissie! And an Easter without candy? I am impressed!

Julie said...

That;s awesome about the race. In high school I barely managed to do the mile in under ten minutes. I almost didn't make the basketball team because of it!

Kathleen said...

Way to go, Chrissie and Sevak! You certainly deserve to rest on your laurels. It must be fun to exercise and compete alongside (not necessarily with ;) each other.

Swati said...

Late response. This is so cute. You guys are such active people, I love it. I like your crown, Chrissie. Greek goddess alert!

Side note: Jasmine is such a chubster. I LOVE IT!!!!