Friday, November 22, 2013

The Kids Lately

Let's talk about Rose. I just had a conference with her teacher yesterday, and it seems she is doing just fine. Mrs. Zuber said that she has shown remarkable growth since the beginning of the year. It seems that initially Rose was very excitable and perhaps a little socially immature. She came from a play-based preschool, so I don't think she was fully ready for the structure of kindergarten. However, she's doing great now! Academically she's also doing fine, but I think social skills are maybe more important at this point. Some things that Mrs. Zuber commented on were that (1) she's good at articulating when things bother her :), and she's really good at sorting (putting items in categories based on certain physical characteristics). I agree that Rose has an artistic eye. Mrs. Zuber showed me some of Rose's writing samples (labeled pictures with a "sentence" underneath), and they all have to do with birds or animals. 

Speaking of which, Rose has been persistently asking for a pet. She is so obsessed that when her friend told her she might get a dog, Rose became all pouty and wouldn't quit crying for a good chunk of the play date. I didn't grow up with pets and neither Sevak nor I are really "animal" people, but Rose's deep interest in animals makes me think that we should probably grant her request. She loves petting the dogs that we pass on our walks, and she always--ALWAYS--checks out a book on some sort of animal when it's library day at school. Like I said, I've never really considered myself an animal person, but seeing Rose so enthralled warms my heart. I should also mention that Rose frequently takes on the persona of a dog.  

Rose is in striped pants, participating in a dog show at Blackhawk Plaza

I found this picture in my magazine. Dog woman. Note the paw print designs on the fingernails, as well. :)

Random little notes on Rose that I recorded the other day: 
* We were listening to Celtic music in the car and she said, "This sounds like Tinkerbell music." 
* I told the kids that Sevak was going to turn 30 next year and Rose said, "Wow…is he going to turn into a grandpa?"

Now on to Simon!

Simon is also growing and maturing. He is still my tender-hearted little dear. The other day his teacher told me that they were talking about losing things, and Simon recounted the story of how he left his stuffed seal at my parents' house. Apparently he got a little emotional when telling it…awwww! The story has a happy ending, though. My mom mailed "Sealie" to him in a birthday package. :) I love how he is sensitive and how that just thinking about things can stir up emotions for him. Today we FaceTimed Sevak and Simon asked him if we could buy another flashlight tool for him (Sevak gave one to him ages ago on a campout and it has disappeared)…while Simon was asking this, it was slightly evident he was holding back tears. Sevak asked him if he was crying and he just let it all gush out. Oh my sweet little buddy! He's a good boy.  

Random little notes on Simon that I recorded the other day: 
* We have had construction workers putting in new windows and doing other work on the home (it has been rather annoying). Simon became curious about them and one day he asked me, "Do workers take baths?" I told him that yes, they're people just like us and they probably do. That night he also asked if workers wear jammies. :)
*Simon was coloring a picture of Minnie and Mickey. He drew some little stars in the eyes and told me, "If you have sparkles in your eyes that means you love somebody." 

In that case, my eyes are full of sparkles for my kiddos!

Last but not least, Jazzy. She is just such a big girl. She is starting to develop more of a vocabulary, and occasionally she'll string a couple of words together. She understands everything. Rose is a little bit of a tomboy, but Jasmine seems to like girly stuff. Rose has a pink purse full of lip glosses and cotton candy perfume (which she rarely uses)…Jasmine is always trying to get at the contents and put it on. She of course still loves babies, real or in doll form.

Random little notes on Jasmine that I recorded the other day: 
* I thought Jasmine was sleeping in her room, but all of a sudden I heard a muffled doll voice say, "I love you sooo much...muah!" I then heard Jasmine's little voice say, "Muah!"
* We hired a babysitter a couple of weekends ago so we could go to the adult session of stake conference. I was a little worried because no one else has ever really put Jasmine to bed. When I went in to Jasmine in the morning I asked her if she had a good time with the babysitter. She shook her head yes and said, "Nice." As in, the babysitter was nice. Hehe!


 Somebody likes fresh-squeezed beet juice!

Somebody also likes pomegranates.

 Gotta love Halloween clearance

 A fun fall day

On the trolley at the Spirit of Danville shopping event (at which we purchased nothing) 

 Acting goofy in an antiques store


 Simon had a play date with a friend. I thought these Korean magnet letters were photo-worthy.

 Sumo wrestling with pillows for girth.

 First "hanging earrings!" She got them from Papik and Tatik when she was a baby and is finally able to wear them.

First ponytail!

3 comments:

Swati said...

I really appreciate that you did this Chrissie. I find myself reliving my childhood through your kids sometimes, and it's so delightful. It gives me an opportunity to think back and characterize myself, which I don't usually have the presence of mind to do. I remember so much of my childhood though, so it's fun to be able to do that.

I like how your kids have such distinct personalities and I feel like I know them after reading posts like this. They each have so much to offer.

I think as a small child I was like a sensitive tender-heart like Simon. Nobody would ever believe that now because I don't know very many people who would call me sensitive. At least not my family. I think sometime in middle school I consciously grew a shell because I knew I was a tenderheart and saw that as a weakness.

Anyway, I think it's adorable how much he thinks and feels and loves you all. I love all of these kids.

Thanks for giving me a chance to reminisce!

Sevak Tsaturyan said...

Hun- this was a great post, you really are a great writer and I am glad someone is keeping a history of our family! I love little buddy. And unfortunately for Rose, I really do not think dogs are the best thing for a life in Foreign Service. I have been hearing how difficult it is to deal with them in moves and transporting them internationally, etc.

Swati - I think you come across as very compassionate person (sensitive or not).

Swati said...

Sevak!!

Thank you. I like the word compassionate.

I have to agree about the dog for now. That would be a torrential nightmare. Can you get one after the move?

Sevak, I am so proud of you as a fellow immigrant and patriot. I think it's phenomenal what you are doing and I can't wait to know more and talk to you guys.

Chrissie, are you going to be at Grandma Rosemary's for Thanksgiving? We're going to the Sandhus this year and it would be providential to see you guys. Let me know!

Love, Swatsky