FRIDAY

Awaiting the plane at Ogle airport (a tiny airport ten minutes from our home)
Tiny plane, too!
When we arrived on Friday night we were starving, so we hit up an Italian place right next to our hotel.
Rose putting the barricade around her cake.
Saturday morning everyone was anxious to get to the beach.
The kids kept wanting to see actual turtles, as there were reminders everywhere of how common they are in Barbados.
Cute little art shop next to a smoothie place.
Natural sand art
Good to the last drop
These are what baby coconuts look like, in case you were wondering.
While swimming in the water we found many, many crabs. We also put on our goggles and got up close and personal with the tropical fish swimming around the rocks. It was so cool. You'd never think you'd get to see those colorful aquarium fish just swimming around in their natural habitat.
No editing. It was that beautiful.
Sand was grainy close to the water, but it was finer further away.
I love that the kids give us an excuse to dig in the sand. :) Otherwise I don't really know what I'd do at the beach all day. I can only lie on a chaise longue for so long.
Brazilian embassy just chillin' in plain view; no gates or guards or anything. We have a keener eye for any kind of governmental/diplomatic stuff these days. :)
We didn't have a car the first day and I really wanted to walk around and explore, but the kids weren't too keen on that. My big boy got to go in the ergo carrier.
Cute little landscape done with coral and items that had washed upon the shore.
Police band
We went to a little cafe with a play area. Kids enjoyed the zip line.
Of course Jasmine won't get left out!
Some of Rose's treasures
The fryer at the cafĂ© broke and the food was taking too long…we went to a roti place instead. Rose and Simon put on a show while we waited (once again) for our food.
Yum! It was quick this time. Roti is very common in Guyana too. They fill it with stuff, like a burrito. Mine had spinach, potato, and channa (chickpeas) in it.
Haagen Dazs for dessert! Hadn't seen this in a long time!
SUNDAY
We went to sacrament meeting at the Christ Church branch. Then…
Yummy variations of fried fish at the Flower Forest
We walked around the jungly forest and saw many beautiful flowers
Rose was super intent on finding all the flowers pictured on her little map
Baobab tree, although much smaller than any I'd seen in Africa. Must be a young'un.
This was a large snail.
Beautiful view
Sleepy baby
Creepy crawly
Cool roots
Checking out a cou cou stick in the gift shop. Never actually got to eat cou cou in Barbados!
Part of the structure remained. It used to be a sugar mill. This is the big oven and the vats used for refining the sugar cane juice. They're from the 16 or 1700's.
After the Flower Forest we went to Harrison's Cave. It was a rainy day so I didn't really want to sit on the beach. We saw a monkey there. For Jasmine, that alone was probably worth the trip. :)
Haha. We told the kids to hold hands and smile. As soon as the picture was taken, Rose dropped Simon's hand and turned off her smile. I told her how I thought it was funny she was so reluctantly posing, and Simon said she was also hurting his hand…I think it might have been purposeful. :)
We got to ride a tram through the cave. Quite a bit fancier than the Luray Caverns (in this post) if you ask me!
Pretty
I wanted to take a dip in those crystal clear cave waters!
Just a sample of a road in Barbados. They also drive on the left, like Guyana.
HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH
We actually couldn't buy anything because our Costco card was not acceptable at PriceSmart (a store that recently broke off from Costco), but it was sure fun to look around! And we ate at the food court. Cheapest food we had in Barbados. Brought back a lot of good memories of America, too. :)
This was our little baby car
One last beach run on Sunday night. Had to put our feet in one last time, even though it was drizzly.
MONDAY
Before our flight we went to the Barbados museum. I had been trying to go all weekend. On Saturday we almost made it but the kids were complaining so much about walking. On Sunday we got there just as they were closing. So Monday we finally made it. Because we are residents of Guyana, we got in for free!!!! That made our day. I always love museums, and Sevak makes fun of me for being more concerned about getting to the museum than going to the beach in tropical paradise.
Shall I close with this picture of a stinky, rotten watermelon that was on our counter when we got back home? I guess it's kind of how we all feel about being back from vacation…a little deflated. :)












3 comments:
Let's Move to Barbados!!! Maybe next tour :).
CAN I MOVE TO BARBADOS WITH YOU GUYS?
OH MY GOODNESS. First of all, I am SO sorry I've been missing in action. I've read all of the posts, but just haven't had the presence of mind or late night energy to make comments. I have to go back and do that still.
I HAD to comment on this one. First of all, it was Holi a couple of days ago so I'm assuming this holiday you mentioned coincides with that on the lunar calendar.
You guys look so great, and I think you're so lucky and blessed. I agree that the pros outweigh the cons. I know it's hard, but I love your attitude. Think of how cool your kids are going to be. Jasmine is going to be such a global babe. I love the idyllic picture of her on the beach.
Some fun trivia for you. I learned from one of my friends in New Orleans that the word "cajun" actually is a short version for Acadians, the descendents of the French in Louisiana. Same word situation. Isn't that interesting..
Anyway, love you guys!!!
Yes, "Phagwah" is the Guyanese version of Holi! There was lots of colorful powder throwing going on.
Swati, please never feel obligated to make comments. We're all busy people and I admire the fact that you even read my humble blog, let alone comment!
Cool about the Acadian-Cajun connection! I think I might have learned that at one time, but I totally forgot.
Post a Comment