Maybe a New Year's resolution will be to write more thoughtful (and frequent) blog posts, but until I catch up with things let's stick with the captioned photos.
First day of 1st grade and kindergarten.
First day of preschool :)
Impromptu coconut harvesting at our friends' house
Rehana is a master with the machete.
The two Simons
Noni fruit. I took one home once, but when it ripened, it became very stinky and I didn't know how to process it for consumption. These things are typically made into juice and blended with other stuff to mask their natural bitter flavor.
At church one day.
Peel of a rambutan.
I'm on the board at Jasmine's preschool, so I've been involved with curriculum. Here's a little register I made for a make-believe grocery store.
And here are some decorations for a make-believe hospital.
I also teach an after-school class called "Let's Move Guyana" at the kids' school. It's really cute to see a wide variety of ages interacting.
Strengthening those leg muscles!
Musical chairs with Mr. Spangler.
Indian/scarf dancing, in recognition of Diwali
Speaking of Diwali…
Diwali event at the embassy.
Henna for Jasmine's little arm.
We watched an awesome motorcade right in front of our house. It was like the electrical parade at Disneyland, Indian style. :)
We also made s'mores on our balcony with our neighbors
And some other friends came to our compound to watch the parade with us.
A diya that Jasmine brought home from preschool.
Our housekeeper invited us to her house for an authentic Diwali experience. The kids set off fireworks and did sparklers.
I loved that my little Americans could interact with bona fide Guyanese kids on this evening of cultural exchange. :)
Diyas (oil lamps) line the stairway.
One day there was a huge brush fire behind our home so we had to be evacuated.
Before we realized the severity, Jasmine and I just put on our masks and went about our business.
Later we were bussed to the ambassador's residence until the smoke died down.
Guy Expo 2014
We bought some of these cute magnets in the shapes of Guyanese produce and fish.
…and were featured in the newspaper!
We also bought some great local products. I enjoy supporting these small entrepreneurs.
Sevak and I ran a couple of 10Ks recently-ish.
People along the route would give me encouragement ("Go, white girl!).
This was at a church fun day. Jasmine's face is painted, lest you think she's just super over-heated.
My little Simon racing with the boys.
Face painting.
Sevak did a phenomenal job of organizing a kids' triathlon with our Austrian friend. This was Jasmine's age group, and you might be able to see her peeking out from behind the front girls. :)
Bikers, take your place…
Oh, the humanity!
Rose didn't want to do the running portion because the biking was too overwhelming for her. We learned many lessons about endurance and sportsmanship that day. :)
At a birthday party.
Some cookies I made for a Halloween party.
We just pulled some stuff out of the dress-up bin and called it Halloween. My kind of Halloween, if you ask me.
Jasmine switched into various costumes that day, which meant it was like any other day.
She was Merida for trick-or-treating at the embassy.
Simon's class at his school. We also had a fun party on Halloween night at the school, and since I'm the PTO secretary I was heavily involved.



























No comments:
Post a Comment