So, here's a grand recap: about a year ago, our tour in Guyana ended and we came back to the U.S. to prepare for our next post: Frankfurt. That meant spending a year in Washington, D.C. so Sevak could learn German and go through consular training (in Guyana he was the GSO--General Services Officer--so now he has a different gig). During our time in the states, we bought a house in Clermont, Florida to use as a home base of sorts. I also spent most of the year being pregnant with Zinnia (I was a few weeks pregnant when we left Guyana, unbeknownst to me). The kids entered their schools half-way through the academic year but eased in quite nicely. Simon and Jasmine then transferred to a new school at the beginning of the following school year. I gave birth to Zinnia in our little apartment. I taught a lot of Zumba. We saw a lot of D.C. It was a great year. In November we finished up and packed up for Germany--but first had a month of home leave. Home leave is a mandatory requirement for Foreign Service Officers. In between every post you have to spend 20 business days on "vacation" in the states. I guess this is so you don't forget how to be an American. :) We had already had plenty of time in the states because of Sevak's training, so I guess this is more crucial for officers who don't need to come back home to train before their next post. Anyway, we spent Thanksgiving with family in CA and then headed to our place in Clermont for the month of December. It's on a big, quiet property with a big lake, so the kids had fun fishing and kayaking. We also went to Disneyworld for a few days. At times it was a bit tough because we didn't have any social connections there and we had to deal with the kids 24/7 because they were obviously out of school, and Zinnia is still very needy, but overall it was a lovely time. I'll have to post about it later. But now, here we are: Germany!!
We arrived on the morning of January 2nd after a flight from Orlando-Charlotte-Frankfurt. Our sponsor family, the Vaughans, picked us up from the airport and drove us home (in two vehicles to accommodate the six of us and our luggage).
Leaving the airport...I think Jonette said this was the first real snow of the season!
Döner sandwich
At the kebab place...Martin on the right.
She wore curlers the night before to have curly hair for her special first day. :) She is wearing "indoor shoes," a requirement at her school.
So far we haven't had any major culture shocks. We're living among a bunch of Americans and I haven't ventured out much. Yesterday a friend did show me how to use the U-bahn and we went to an Asian grocery store near the Hauptbahnhof (Central Train Station). That was actually more familiar to me than being in a German store. :) It's one thing to be amongst foreigners in their native land, it's another to be amongst foreigners when you're BOTH non-native.
Here are some little tidbits I've picked up since being here:
- The water here is very hard so German shampoos are supposedly formulated to combat the damage to your hair...so you gotta buy German brands.
- You have to put special salt into your dishwasher and washing machine for the same reason.
- People are really quiet on the metro.
- You buy metro tickets on the honor system...you don't have to scan them anywhere. Occasionally an authority comes aboard to make sure everyone has their tickets.
- There's a store here called DM which is like a CVS or Walgreens, but they don't actually sell medicine. You have to go to an Apothecke for that. Also, supposedly even for over-the-counter meds you need to talk to the pharmacist before purchasing.
- Jasmine needs to wear indoor shoes for her school, and I think that might be a common thing in German primary schools. I think it's so muddy boots don't make a mess in the classroom.
That's all I can think of for now. I'll for sure keep posting about our adventures!
Zinnia has started eating her first solids! She has also started rolling over...lots of firsts in this new year and new country!
These are like cheetos, but peanut flavored.
Jasmine made a snowman after school but was super disappointed that it didn't have a carrot nose. I told her we would go out later on the way to pick up Rose and Simon from the bus stop. By the time we got out, the rain had melted her own snowman, but she was still ok putting it on another random one she found.
No comments:
Post a Comment