Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Writing Styles

This is kinda random, but a while ago all three kids were drawing/coloring and I noticed how all of their pencil grips are different.

 
Rose. When she was younger she started with a full-hand grip. I remember her preschool/kindergarten teachers making note of it and I tried to kind of guide her into the more "preferred" three-finger method. Now her grip is basically the same, but her pinky is out of the equation. People comment on it from time to time, but she's quite a detailed artist so I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

 Simon. He uses his fingertips to hold the pencil, rather than putting it into his palm like Rose. However, in addition to the index and middle finger, he also includes the ring finger in the grip, which seems kind of awkward.

Jasmine. She has what I consider to be the most "normal" grip. Third time's a charm! :)

1 comment:

Swati said...

Hello girlfriend! Thank you so much for the lovely holiday card. It was so thoughtful and brought some tears to my eyes as I thought about our childhood and how beautifu it really was. It was full of simple pleasures. We were so goofy. That is the way to be.

I totally loved this post because I've noticed writing and pencil-holding styles also. My sister does the fingers thing like Simon. I tried it once, and it felt unstable and weird. I fall into the Jazzy category.

I still remember your handwriting. The letters were always tall, and I remember the sound of your pencil very swiftly scratching the surface of paper in class. You always wrote fast.