Sunday, December 20, 2020

Freedom

Out of quarantine! Friday was a visit to the embassy, lunch at an Armenian restaurant, and a tour of the kids’ school. Yesterday (Saturday) we went on a little hike in the Gulele Botanical Garden with new friends. Today we went to church at our local branch. It’s so great to be free but it’s still a little overwhelming getting around. Our car’s not here so we have to rely on getting a driver with a big enough vehicle. For yesterday and today Sevak hired out a driver but I still feel like I don't want to abuse our time with him by asking him to go all over creation. Or the opposite--I don't want to just sit around, since we pay a daily flat rate. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it and there will be balance. Yesterday's visit to the garden was beautiful, and a welcome respite from the traffic and pollution of town.

FRIDAY

First thing Friday we took a trip to the embassy to notarize some stuff (we just bought a house in Utah)! Since big cars are hard to come by, we took two taxis. Here's a shot of the "boys' car" from on the road.

There were some interesting large birds wandering around the embassy compound. We also got some snacks at the commissary. It's a nice compound with a pool, playground, etc. Glad to have this space, even though it can take almost an hour to get there with traffic.

Here we are at Aladdin, the Armenian restaurant (the menu legit stole the "Aladdin" logo from the Disney movie). It was sooo good and actually very authentic. The owner’s family has been here for many generations yet she holds on to her language and culture. There was another guest there who was also an Armenian who grew up in Addis Ababa and had come back for a visit. The history of the Armenian community here is so interesting!

After having eaten takeout for so long, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. There's a difference between fresh-to-your-table food and delivery that has absorbed cardboard-y flavors from the containers. I think the restaurant itself is just good anyway. 


Next up was a visit to the kids' new school. They I can't wait to have them start real, physical school in January!

Rose found a listless bird on the campus and tried to give it some love. We think it had flown into a window and was a little stunned.


SATURDAY

For the past few months Jasmine has been communicating with and anticipating meeting another third grade American girl coming into Addis. This friend has already been here a month, and we met her and her family for a hike in the Gulele Botanic Garden.  

Yuka was so thrilled to get out of our compound, too--she hopped right into the car.



The kids found a bird nest.



We got fresh sugar cane on the way home...Jasmine has been wanting it for a while. It was great! Half a buck for like half a cane.

1 comment:

Swati said...

I like how the look and feel of the blog is evolving, Chrissie. I can never settle on things like that either. The Tsaturyans at a botanical garden has become a tradition! I'm glad you all had a chance to go out and explore finally. And congratulations on the house! It's nice to know you have somewhere to come home to. Great pictures. Is it just me, or does Rose have a touch of Megan in her? It's wild how big they are getting. The restaurant looks great. I definitely think you will have many awesome food adventures out there. I Google "Addis Ababa spice market" and this place called the Mercato Market showed up: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mercato+Market/@9.0305613,38.7367003,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!1m2!2m1!1saddis+ababa+spice+market!3m4!1s0x164b85fdaf161689:0xb0a62f6b33a9fa4f!8m2!3d9.030556!4d38.738889

Looks neat! I have no idea if that link will work.